Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Links in thunderbird trying to open new firefox process.

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
bryanmc

Links in thunderbird trying to open new firefox process.

#1 Post by bryanmc »

For some reason, at some point links selected in a thunderbird message stopped opening in the running firefox process and started trying to open a new process. The error message is "Firefox is running but not responding blah blah blah". Unfortunately I can't pin down exactly what caused this or when. Despite my best efforts, my start page-fu isn't helping determine the cause. Current firefox version is 102.4.0esr and thunderbird is pinned on 60.9.0 due to a couple add-ons I use.
Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to add... selecting a link in thunderbird when firefox is not running starts firefox and opens correctly. It's obviously a firefox config problem but I've tried the suggestions on the one thread on the FF support section with the same issue with no luck. Interestingly, that issue was never resolved either... I've tried every combination of settings in the neww section of about:config that I could find with no change.

bryanmc

Re: Links in thunderbird trying to open new firefox process.

#2 Post by bryanmc »

I realize this is an odd problem. I described the issue the best I could. There have been over 200 views and nobody has an idea? Is there some info I need to post that I overlooked / neglected, or is this just one of those one of a kind things?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

Possibly due to your ancient version of Thunderbird. I suggest you get the latest Bullseye version 102.5.0 and find some alternatives to those "couple add-ons I use". The old Thunderbird will have missed multiple security upgrades and is now completely unsupported.
TB 102.5.0 opens links fine in the currently running FF 102.5.0esr here.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bryanmc

#4 Post by bryanmc »

Thanks for the info sunrat. Couple quick questions... Does minimize to tray work on TB 102.5.0 and do you think I will run in to issues upgrading directly from my current TB version to the most recent?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

I don't see a simple way to minimize to tray here on KDE Plasma 5. Maybe a way to do it with special window manager settings? No idea if you will have issues.
So basically, I don't know. :? :)

You could do a full system backup, try the upgrade, and restore the backup if it goes tits up.
But really, you shouldn't be using such an old, insecure, version of Thunderbird.

Edit: apparently there's a package in Debian repos called birdtray. Install it and let us know if t works.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bryanmc

#6 Post by bryanmc »

I've looked at birdtray several times. It's not spoken of very well in regard to how it does what it does. Most of that is above my level of understanding though. I use a package called fire tray currently but because tbird changed how they do things after V 60.9.0 it won't work with newer versions. Same thing with a package called reminder fox. My issues seemed to start (as best I can tell) with the latest firefox-esr update, not with anything to do with the tbird package. I was hoping the issue was merely some changed config parameter that someone could point me to. I do appreciate your ideas and thank you.

bryanmc

#7 Post by bryanmc »

A little more information trickling in... Found out this evening that trying to open the online help for libre office writer and gimp both failed failed to open a new window with the below error so I'm pretty convinced this is a firefox issue and not a thunderbird issue.