Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HP Laserjet M14 installed but not working

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
ninos

HP Laserjet M14 installed but not working

#1 Post by ninos »

when I press print the light on the printer starts blinking but after a few seconds it stops
and it prints nothing

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HP Laserjet M14 installed but not working

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

The following printers are listed as being AirPrint devices:
HP LaserJet MFP M140a
HP LaserJet MFP M140w
https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201311

You should go down the driverless printing route if your printer supports it:

https://wiki.debian.org/CUPSDriverlessPrinting

For scanning support, install:

Code: Select all

sane-airscan

ninos

#3 Post by ninos »

The printer works fine.
I installed hplip
using only one command
sudo apt install hplip hplip-gui
and then I added the printer using
the hplip toolbox,
Which had been added to
settings
Problem solved!
:D

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

ninos wrote: 2022-11-04 15:18 Problem solved!
Problem postponed.
However, it is as well to be aware that drivers and PPDs are deprecated in CUPS and eventually they will not be catered for as they are now. This has been a long-term objective of the CUPS project for some time.
:shock:

ninos

#5 Post by ninos »

I don't understand the problem of depreciation
that you are mentioning...

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by Fossy »

ninos wrote: 2022-11-04 15:18 The printer works fine.
Problem solved!
usb-wired I assume ?
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Deprecate:
(chiefly of a software feature) be usable but regarded as obsolete and best avoided, typically because it has been superseded.
"this feature is deprecated and will be removed in later versions"
Your printer will work without drivers. This is a good thing because it means you can print from any AirPrint capable device without installing the drivers, for example your phone.

Debian Bullseye is capable of driverless printing: you don't need to install the drivers and management software. You can still use them, but going into the future they may not be supported as they are now.

A change of mindset is required. When you get a new printer, you should not ask: "How do I install the drivers for this printer?" Rather, ask "Is this printer capable of driverless printing?" If it is, simply set up a driverless printer queue. Why install a bunch of stuff to do something your OS can do quite happily without? Driverless printing makes even more sense if you need to print from different printers. Say you have a mobile device and want to print from different printers. In the past you would have needed to download and set up drivers for every printer you wanted to use. If they are modern printers, with Bullseye you don't need to. Also, say you buy a new printer and you find that it is not supported by the vendor supplied utility. What do you do? Go to the vendor website and download the latest version of the utility and install that, or just set up a driverless print queue and start printing?

Does it make sense to keep looking for and using drivers, or start exploring driverless printing now if your printer can do it? The choice is up to you at the moment, just bear in mind that in the future the driver route may become more difficult or even impossible, because obsolete technology is usually not well supported: nobody want to spend time and effort developing software that has become unnecessary.

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by Fossy »

Dear FreewheelinFrank I would appreciate the info on how Apple is moving into the future with its iPhones and Airprint , only , the " smartphones " we have in use are only for telephoning and to take admittedly beautiful pictures with ( always at hand ! ) .
Until now I have always used HP printers , never racked my brains to get them working with wifi ( always usb-wired installed ) and how to make a scan ( I leave it to Vuescan ) .
Why HP ? because of HPLIP , as simple as that .
Airprint ? , neither my family / roommates nor myself see the point , our computers and printer are work tools .
@Ninos
how did you solved your installation problem ?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Not just Apple.
IPP Everywhere enables printing on all forms of mobile devices, including laptops, phones and tablets. IPP Everywhere printers can be easily discovered and immediately used. This removes a major hassle associated with printing from hotels, meeting centers and elsewhere.

The first IPP Everywhere certified printers, listed here, are from HP Inc. and include mobile and office printers. Other PWG member printer vendors are expected to announce additional IPP Everywhere certified printers in coming months.

The PWG is a program of the IEEE Industry Standards and Technology Organization (ISTO). Members include printer manufacturers, print server developers, operating system vendors, network software developers, network connectivity vendors, and print management application providers.
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/ ... nd-Tablets

https://www.pwg.org/members.html

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#10 Post by Fossy »

How I understand it , has the "regular home user " little not to say nothing to it , seems to me rather reserved for the active professional world .
With the exception of Lexmark , for now only HP follows in this footsteps ( Samsung has been completely taken over by HP ) .
Moreover, I cannot imagine that manufacturers will afford to put printers on the market that you cannot install the "classic" way ?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Many manufacturers now produce driverless printers.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201311

For the home user the advantage is that there is no need to install a driver.

Ultimately I cannot see any reason why manufacturers would continue to develop drivers if they are not necessary.

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#12 Post by Fossy »

Dear FreewheelinFrank , I fear we are not on the same wavelength ... Put it on account of my lack ( read absence ) of IT/ICT knowledge and I am then also go to close my modest contribution to this topic , but not without clarifying my pragmatic approach regarding printers .
Our “ printer department “ , at the disposal of everyone here , including our " hotel Mom " guests :D :

An HP LaserJet Pro MFP M130fw paired with an Asus x751 LAB ( usb-wired ) .
Scan jobs through Vuescan .
no wifi involved .
Nothing I need to wrap my head around , all the way as far as printing is concerned , have enough on my mind to keep their laptops up to date :evil: .

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

With a USB connection, you should bear in mind in case of a reinstall that set up of driverless printing is automatic. As your printer is driverless enabled, you simply have to plug it in to a Bullseye install and it will be ready to print. In fact, if you try to use HPLIP it won't work.
[With] version 2.3.3-2 the cups-daemon package installs ipp-usb as a recommended package. When an IPP-over-USB device is connected to the computer, systemd will use /lib/systemd/system/ipp-usb.service to start the daemon. cups-browsed is also installed by default, so, because the USB connected printer emulates a network printer, it will auto-create a driverless print queue for the printer.

The result is that the USB connected printer becomes immediately available for printing to. Nothing else need be done. Manually setting up a driverless print queue is also an option.

Note that IPP-over-USB reserves the USB interface connection with the printer/scanner exclusively for itself and communication with a printer/scanner device by software that does not operate using the IPP-over-USB protocol becomes impossible while ipp-usb is running. This is a consequence of the design of USB communication. It is not a bug in ipp-usb.
The thing to wrap your head around is that you don't need the things you previously wrapped your head around.

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#14 Post by Fossy »

Apple , who is going to bring order into the printer firmware crap story … or a stroke of genius to maintain its share in the rock-hard market ?
Apparently HP and already a few other printer manufacturers , of necessity ? go along with this story , but whether this is going to absolve them ( read avoid their responsibility ) to make sure the end user has the necessary drivers to get their products working ? I cannot imagine .
I was not waiting for this, I feel this as yet another , unjustified ? "bells and whistles" story with which they want to ram all kinds of things down our throats ... that the home user (speaking for myself) did not ask for.
Whatever , I like Debian , Asus & HP , we'll see how this story evolves ... good for a future specific section " printer issues " ? whether or not dear Sunrat :mrgreen: ?