Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Documentation for the grub.cfg file

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
pwzhangzz

Documentation for the grub.cfg file

#1 Post by pwzhangzz »

Many of the components in the grub.cfg file are not explained. Where can I find the explanations?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Documentation for the grub.cfg file

#2 Post by p.H »

pwzhangzz

#3 Post by pwzhangzz »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2022-11-07 10:12 Many of the components in the grub.cfg file are not explained.
For example, in the installed version of Sid,

Code: Select all

linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.10.0-14-amd64 root=UUID=19827f6b-f130-4776-a0e7-70bf25bd1ed2 ro quiet splash
The word "splash" (splash screen) was never explained in the official GRUG manuals, although we all know what is means.

In the hybrid iso (of Bullseye),

linux  /live/vmlinuz-5.10.0-18-amd64 boot=live components splash quiet "${loopback}"
I couldn't find documentation as to whether the kernel parameter "live" refers to an instruction to boot from a live usb (which would have seemed to be redundant as evidenced by the subsequent loopback boot parameter), or it refers to the "live" directory of the root partition (where the filesystem.squashfs is located)? ? ?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by p.H »

Most kernel command-line parameters are meaningless to GRUB (vga= is an exception), they are just arbitrary strings.
They may be interpreted by the kernel, kernel modules, the initramfs or any userspace program.

pwzhangzz

#5 Post by pwzhangzz »

Looks like the grub.cfg file is indeed a hodgepodge of a number of configuration tools. I'm mainly interested in knowing what the word "live" means as a kernel boot parameter. This is what I have been inspired to find out:

From Debian Manpage (7):

https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/op ... .7.en.html

https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/li ... .7.en.html

the word "live" means both (1) as a kernel parameter to activate a live-boot system (such as a live usb), as well as (2) the /live directory in root partition which contains the filesystem.squashfs image to create an aufs-based read-writable environment to boot the system from.

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by p.H »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2022-11-07 14:17 I'm mainly interested in knowing what the word "live" means as a kernel boot parameter
It does not mean anything to GRUB and the kernel. I guess It is intended to the live initramfs.
Yet another XY problem. If you are interested in the live system parameters, you should open a topic with the proper subject.

abu_bua

#7 Post by abu_bua »

You can either look at the lThe Linux Kernel Documentation

or the way I prefer to install the docs (you have the documented kernel of YOUR installed kernel) :

sudo apt install linux-doc
This will install the htmls in /usr/share/doc/linux-doc-6.0 for instance, depending on the actual version.

You can now open the doc e.g. with

open  file:///usr/share/doc/linux-doc-6.0/html/index.html
The documentation is really good and I like it also as an hardware/software instructional book!