Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

no output devices in pulse audio [solved]

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
jaswkah

no output devices in pulse audio [solved]

#1 Post by jaswkah »

hello everyone

i recently did a system update and now have no output devices in my pulse audio mixer (well, there is a "dummy output" but this also does not work). and
hence no sound output.

i'm on debian sid, linux-image-amd64 v. 6.0.8-1

any help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.
Last edited by jaswkah on 2022-11-24 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: no output devices in pulse audio

#2 Post by sunrat »

Moved to Sid/Testing subforum.

I recall there have been several topics about similar issues in the forum recently. A search may help.
Also details of your system and audio device/s are needed to get anywhere. If you have inxi installed:

Code: Select all

inxi -ACMSxxz
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

jaswkah

#3 Post by jaswkah »

thanks for your reply.

i actually did do a search, but a lot of the posts i found were "no sound" issues where there was some audio hardware available. in my case, there are simply no longer any audio hardware output devices being recognized in the xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin mixer.

i ran inxi and got this:

System:
Kernel: 6.0.0-4-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 12.2.0
Desktop: Xfce v: 4.16.1 tk: Gtk v: 3.24.34 wm: xfwm dm: LightDM
Distro: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: LENOVO product: 2359CTO v: ThinkPad T530
serial: <filter> Chassis: type: 10 serial: <filter>
Mobo: LENOVO model: 2359CTO serial: <filter> UEFI-[Legacy]: LENOVO
v: G4ETB3WW (2.73 ) date: 06/11/2018
CPU:
Info: dual core model: Intel Core i5-3230M bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Ivy Bridge rev: 9 cache: L1: 128 KiB L2: 512 KiB L3: 3 MiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 2359 high: 3200 min/max: 1200/3200 cores: 1: 3200
2: 3200 3: 1841 4: 1196 bogomips: 20751
Flags: avx ht lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Lenovo 7
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus-ID: 00:1b.0 chip-ID: 8086:1e20
Sound API: ALSA v: k6.0.0-4-amd64 running: yes
Sound Server-1: JACK v: 1.9.21 running: no
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 16.1 running: no
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.60 running: yes

what other information about my system could be helpful in tracking down this problem?

jaswkah

#4 Post by jaswkah »

and when i run:
pulseaudio --check

i get the following:
E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid 1000! (This could e.g. happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)

so, there seems to be a problem with the uid's -- but i'm not sure how to change this or even know what this is referring to.

in any case, it seems pulse audio is not running, and i'm not able to start it.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Make sure you have done everything required in the Testing/Unstable section.

https://wiki.debian.org/PipeWire#PulseAudio

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

jaswkah wrote: 2022-11-21 23:43 and when i run:
pulseaudio --check

i get the following:
E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR (/run/user/1000) is not owned by us (uid 0), but by uid 1000! (This could e.g. happen if you try to connect to a non-root PulseAudio as a root user, over the native protocol. Don't do that.)

so, there seems to be a problem with the uid's -- but i'm not sure how to change this or even know what this is referring to.

in any case, it seems pulse audio is not running, and i'm not able to start it.
pulseaudio typically runs as your regular user, so you should troubleshoot it from that account, not root.
That is what it is complaining about.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

jaswkah

#7 Post by jaswkah »

thanks for your reply.

i've installed all the necessary dependencies to run pipeline with jack and alsa.

when i run:
LANG=C pactl info | grep '^Server Name'

i get:
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.60)

so, according to the documentation, pipeline has been installed correctly.

--------------------------

for alsa:
the documentation calls for:
cp /usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples/alsa.conf.d/99-pipewire-default.conf /etc/alsa/conf.d/

for which i get:
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples/alsa.conf.d/99-pipewire-default.conf': No such file or directory

there is no file:
99-pipewire-default.conf
in '/usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples

where can i find this file? it was not installed with the doc package.

for jack:
cp /usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples/ld.so.conf.d/pipewire-jack-*.conf /etc/ld.so.conf.d/

which worked

but when i run
# ldconfig

i get
bash: ldconfig: command not found

not sure what the issue here is.

when i run vlc through jack i do get some output but at a very low volume, which i can't adjust

lastly, the docmentation calls for:
If you're using pipewire-media-session, note that its configuration directory has moved from /etc/pipewire/media-session.d/ to /usr/share/pipewire/media-session.d, and adjust the paths as necessary when making use of the older instructions.

how can i adjust these paths?

and when using qpwgraph gui connections interface, i still have only "dummy outputs" for my system. this means, although i can see from meters in the pulse audio mixer that sound is playing, there is no output from my system -- only when using jack, and then at a very low volume and with no headphone output.

thanks again for any help.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Quite a few people seem to have lost sound with kernel 6.0, both here and other places*. Could you try reverting to a previous kernel and see if that fixes it?

* See:

https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comment ... 31_update/

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/dummy-i ... kage/27798

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1438474 ... untu-22-10

jaswkah

#9 Post by jaswkah »

thanks i will have a look, though i've already saw a couple of these posts before. not sure about reverting to the last kernel -- i've never tried this before and might get me into more trouble than i'm already in. perhaps the next kernel update will solve the problem? this is a big drag because i'm a musician and basically use my computer for most things sound related.

jaswkah

#10 Post by jaswkah »

just wondering if anyone can help out with the following questions below.

thanks.
jaswkah wrote: 2022-11-22 09:51
i've installed all the necessary dependencies to run pipeline with jack and alsa.

when i run:
LANG=C pactl info | grep '^Server Name'

i get:
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.60)

so, according to the documentation, pipeline has been installed correctly.

for alsa:
cp /usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples/alsa.conf.d/99-pipewire-default.conf /etc/alsa/conf.d/

for which i get:
cp: cannot stat '/usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples/alsa.conf.d/99-pipewire-default.conf': No such file or directory

there is no file:
99-pipewire-default.conf

for jack:
cp /usr/share/doc/pipewire/examples/ld.so.conf.d/pipewire-jack-*.conf /etc/ld.so.conf.d/

which worked

but when i run
# ldconfig

i get

when i run vlc through jack i do get some output but at a very low volume, which i can't adjust

If you're using pipewire-media-session, note that its configuration directory has moved from /etc/pipewire/media-session.d/ to /usr/share/pipewire/media-session.d, and adjust the paths as necessary when making use of the older instructions.

and when using qpwgraph gui connections interface, i still have only "dummy outputs" for my system. this means, although i can see from meters in the pulse audio mixer that sound is playing, there is no output from my system -- only when using jack, and then at a very low volume and with no headphone output.

thanks again for any help.

pwzhangzz

#11 Post by pwzhangzz »

I believe the culprit is pulseaudio; thus run the following commands:
sudo apt remove pulseaudio
then install pipewire-pulse (should have already been installed but just in case):
sudo apt install pipewire pipewire-pulse
This worked for one of our machines running Sid. None of other machines (also running Sid) have this problem.

jaswkah

#12 Post by jaswkah »

thanks for your reply, but which of my questions was this addressing?

for example:

for alsa:

for which i get:

there is no file:
99-pipewire-default.conf

or

for jack:

which worked

but when i run
# ldconfig

i get

i no longer have pulse audio installed. i also no longer have any output devices in the pipe wire qpwgraph audio connections interface -- only "dummy" outputs. i can i get "real" outputs (like speakers, headphone jack, etc) as i had before in pulse audio.

thanks!

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#13 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

jaswkah wrote: 2022-11-22 12:45 this is a big drag because i'm a musician and basically use my computer for most things sound related.
Why are you using Sid for a work machine? Sid is an experiment in what will work and what will break.

Is it because you tried the hardware on Stable and sound didn't work? Did you try Stable with backports for kernel and sound packages.

Relying on Sid for a work machine is not very sensible, especially if you don't have the skills to diagnose and fix it when it does break, or a backup installation or machine to switch to.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

pwzhangzz wrote: 2022-11-23 05:33 I believe the culprit is pulseaudio; thus run the following commands:
sudo apt remove pulseaudio
then install pipewire-pulse (should have already been installed but just in case):
sudo apt install pipewire pipewire-pulse
This worked for one of our machines running Sid. None of other machines (also running Sid) have this problem.
Sound died for me too and pipewire-pulse fixed it, although it's not strictly necessary to uninstall pulseaudio. (Installing pipewire-alsa will cause pulseaudio to be removed.)

viewtopic.php?p=760848#p760848

This is why I posted the link to the Wiki in #5: anybody using Sid/Testing need to know that sound is in flux and keep on top of these changes.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#15 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

jaswkah wrote: 2022-11-23 05:40 thanks for your reply, but which of my questions was this addressing?

for example:

for alsa:

for which i get:

there is no file:
99-pipewire-default.conf

or

for jack:

which worked

but when i run
# ldconfig

i get

i no longer have pulse audio installed. i also no longer have any output devices in the pipe wire qpwgraph audio connections interface -- only "dummy" outputs. i can i get "real" outputs (like speakers, headphone jack, etc) as i had before in pulse audio.

thanks!
I honestly don't think you should be messing with this stuff. Or need to.

The most likely explanation of you problem is that either you haven't kept up with changes in the Sid sound system as @pwzhangzz pointed out, or an update to the kernel has broken something.

Could you please post the output of

# dmesg | grep 'dmic'
?

My suspicion is that the kernel parameter

snd_hda_intel.dmic_detect=0
has been removed from the kernel (it was previously deprecated) and that this is breaking systems where users have added the old parameter. Of course if you have added that parameter yourself, please tell us about it.

jaswkah

#16 Post by jaswkah »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2022-11-23 09:33
jaswkah wrote: 2022-11-22 12:45 this is a big drag because i'm a musician and basically use my computer for most things sound related.
Why are you using Sid for a work machine? Sid is an experiment in what will work and what will break.

Is it because you tried the hardware on Stable and sound didn't work? Did you try Stable with backports for kernel and sound packages.

Relying on Sid for a work machine is not very sensible, especially if you don't have the skills to diagnose and fix it when it does break, or a backup installation or machine to switch to.
thanks, that was really helpful...nothing like knocking someone down to make yourself feel smugly superior.

fyi, i've been using sid for at least 5+ years. most problems up till now i've been able to fix -- usually thanks to the generous help on this forum. and not from people like yourself, who seem to think a scolding is the most productive way of helping someone.

and of course now you're going to reply with another vindictive post, and so on and on. just what the world needs today...

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

It looks like you have fixed your problem.

viewtopic.php?p=763196#p763196

I apologise for my harsh and unjustified comment.

Reviewing the thread, it seems you did look at my post #5 and take steps to keep up with changes in the sound system by installing Pipewire.

I couldn't understand why you were asking about configurations files when all that is necessary is installing and enabling some packages, and also got distracted by the red herring of dmic_detect.

From the post linked to, it looks like you have solved the problem by installing those packages and selecting the right output.
i went to the "configuration" tab of the pavucontrol (xfce4-pulseaudio-plugin) sound mixer and chose "analog stereo output.
If that is the case, please accept my apologies and mark the thread as solved, as this will help other users.

jaswkah

#18 Post by jaswkah »

FreewheelinFrank wrote: 2022-11-24 18:00 I apologise for my harsh and unjustified comment.
thank you. apologies accepted.

i'm not a super accomplished debian user, but i'm trying. and you asked why i was using sid -- the reason is some of the hardware and software i use requires libraries that are not in the stable distribution. otherwise, yes, i could save myself a lot of trouble by just going with stable. on the other hand, i would probably also learn less if i just had a stable install. i am not entirely up to speed with solving problems in debian but i've made a lot of headway, and usually only because of issues like this one.