Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Cannot install debian to rockpro64

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
ljones0

Cannot install debian to rockpro64

#1 Post by ljones0 »

Hello!

I'm having a problem with installing debian onto emmc on my rockpro64 device. I can only get so far and the process fails.

First of all I'm using the newer bookworm debian installer for the rockpro64. I can write the two images as stated in the "README.concatenateable_images" file successfully by using:

Code: Select all

$ zcat firmware.rockpro64-rk3399.img.gz partition.img.gz > out.img
And then write that file to out.img and in turn write that file onto a micro sd card and boot from it. I have tried several micro sd cards (I can confirm they work) as does the small emmc device connected to the rockpro64 (It's rated for 64GB capacity).

Unfortunatly I get these errors while installing. Firstly in the "partition disks" phase of the installer I get these two errors pop up;

* Software RAID not avaliable
* Current kernel dosen't support logical volume manager - load lvm-mod module
During the partitioning I also get the following error (unfortunatly I can't get past this point);

"The attempt to mount a filesystem with type ext4 in mmc/sd card 3 partition 2 mmcblk2p2 at / failed".
The error happens regardless of what I choose - either guided install, largest free space or manual.

Does anyone know if this is a bug in the installer at all?

Thanks
ljones

nexion

Re: Cannot install debian to rockpro64

#3 Post by nexion »

I run into the same issue using the installer as directed here: https://wiki.pine64.org/wiki/ROCKPro64_ ... _Installer

I have tried the MrFixit pre-built system, but I prefer to roll my own. Typically the debian installer does not stop at this point. It is a first for me. I am using a 16GB emmc installing from a micro sd.

Anyone have some suggestions to try beyond dropping to a shell and running fdisk on it? It came back clean.

nexion

Re: Cannot install debian to rockpro64

#4 Post by nexion »

Digging a bit further it seems to be a bug in post Debian11 current net install images. The net boot image I was having trouble with mentioned something about certain modules not being present during the initial setup process.

I've since had success with a net install boot made from these files specifically: https://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/Deb ... rd-images/

Hopefully I can update/upgrade my way to something more current. This is a forum that clued me into the bug being at issue and will have more detail: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9744&page=9

They are suggesting the user make a formal bug report here.