Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Bookworm] [Software] IP address refuses to change [Solved]

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
MikeLieberman

[Testing - Bookworm] [Software] IP address refuses to change [Solved]

#1 Post by MikeLieberman »

Under bookworm:

I have a PC that was originally 192.168.1.76. While I was doing some maintenance on a server 192.168.1.70 and that server was offline I added BIND to the PC at "76" and renumbered it as "70". I had to do that a number of times and all went fine until there came a time when I needed to turn it back to "76" and it refused to hold the change. No matter how I deal with settings, it ignores all attempts and insists it is :"70". I have even tried to tell it to use DHCP. It ignores that change. I created a new 'profile' but it does not retain that either. I have tried a different administrator login, but Settings does not ask for admin privileges to change an network seeing. I have gone in under Gnome, under Cinnamon and under Xorg. None of this matters.

In the old days I would go into /etc/network as root and edit interfaces, but that is no longer possible.

I even "switched users" and logged in as root. It recognizes me as privileged user. but still doesn't allow me to change the IP address.

Clearly, on this unit, there is a permission issue regarding the changing of the IP address. How and where do I find it?

[As far as bug reporting to the bookworm development folks, I am way out of my depth on that. I loaded bookworm because I needed a package that was not available in the stable release and was told I could get it in bookworm, and not worry because bookworm was close to final release so all would be fine. Well I should have known better. As it is. I can't put the unit on the LAN because of IP conflicts. I have no idea how I would even look up to see if the bug is known or if I need to report it or how to report it.]
Last edited by MikeLieberman on 2022-11-30 04:59, edited 1 time in total.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Software] IP address refuses to change

#2 Post by CwF »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-11-25 07:27 In the old days I would go into /etc/network as root and edit interfaces, but that is no longer possible.
It is.
Remove competing software

MikeLieberman

#3 Post by MikeLieberman »

You say:
Remove competing software.
The Debian version is bookworm. Are you saying I can change the sources.list and roll back to bullseye from bookworm? There is no other software on the system other than what the package manger put there.

arzgi

#4 Post by arzgi »

Check

Code: Select all

/etc/systemd/network

At least bullsyeye still has ifplugd.

$ cd /etc/systemd/network
arto@acer:/etc/systemd/network$ ls
10-persistent-net.link  20-wired  25-wireless.network
arto@acer:/etc/systemd/network$ aptitude search ifplugd
p   ifplugd                         - configuration daemon for ethernet devices 
p   ifplugd:i386                    - configuration daemon for ethernet devices 
arto@acer:/etc/systemd/network$ 

MikeLieberman

#5 Post by MikeLieberman »

I re-edited the sources.list

$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib
deb-src https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/debian-security bullseye-security main contrib non-free

# bullseye-updates, to get updates before a point release is made;
# see https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_updates_and_backports
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
deb-src https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free

# bullseye-backports, previously on backports.debian.org
deb https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
deb-src https://deb.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
mike@redbox:/etc/systemd/network$ 
I ran: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

But the system did not roll back. I am still under bookworm
and:

:~$ /etc/systemd/network
-bash: /etc/systemd/network: Is a directory
mike@redbox:~$ cd /etc/systemd/network
mike@redbox:/etc/systemd/network$ ls
mike@redbox:/etc/systemd/network$

mike@redbox:~$ sudo apt search ifplugd
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
golang-github-satta-ifplugo-dev/stable 0.0~git20200508.ca679be-2 all
  ifplugd-powered network link status notification for Go

ifplugd/stable 0.28-19.5 amd64
  configuration daemon for ethernet devices

netplug/stable 1.2.9.2-3 amd64
  network link monitor daemon

mike@redbox:~$ 
Last edited by MikeLieberman on 2022-11-26 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

The advice above was definitely not about rolling back to Bullseye. :shock: Such a rollback is unsupported and very likely impossible. All Bullseye packages would be older than Bookworm packages so nothing should happen with what you did. Change your sources back to Bookworm.
Bookworm is Testing currently, a development release not intended for daily use except by experienced users. It won't be released as Stable until sometime mid next year (probably). You'd probably be best to wipe it, install Bullseye, and find another solution for that software you "must have".
I think what CwF meant by competing software was if something else is managing your network, maybe systemd-networkd or even network manager if your interfaces files is incorrect.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

MikeLieberman

#7 Post by MikeLieberman »

I misunderstood 'Check' as it can mean, 'that's right, go ahead. I think I will put a second NIC on the unit, disable the first and see if the second will take a different IP address. The rest of bookworm is behaving OK. Yes, I will put bookworm back in. Bookworm is expected to be released the first quarter of 2023. It is in 'stable testing' right now. My best guess is that they don't know about this bug as it didn't popup right away.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-11-26 14:58Bookworm is expected to be released the first quarter of 2023.
Not quite. Hard freeze is expected on 2023-03-12. It will still be some time after that for release.
https://release.debian.org/testing/freeze_policy.html
My best guess is that they don't know about this bug as it didn't popup right away.
You still can't rule out a configuration error.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by CwF »

sunrat wrote: 2022-11-26 10:52 The advice above was definitely not about rolling back to Bullseye. :shock:
Indeed. Scary such an interpretation is possible...
MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-11-25 07:27 I have gone in under Gnome, under Cinnamon and under Xorg. None of this matters.
Yes, it matters. Gnome and Cinnamon likely specifically relevant...Xorg? try again...

DE's often install their own preference for managing the network and will not respect and override the systemd configuration. Using only systemd works fine in Bookworm and presents no bugs of this sort I'm aware of. In order to do so, you need to remove gnomes' network manager and configure per systemd.

MikeLieberman

#10 Post by MikeLieberman »

sunrat said:
Oh, yes I can. I may not be a Debian guru, but I am something of an IP guru, I've have been working in Internet provisioning since the mid 1980s, initially though support on a University Unix server. I started my first ISP in 1994 (it is still in operation, though I left it in 1997 to start my second which I retired from in 2017) with a ASN and allocation from the Internic and was grandfathered into ARIN.NET when they took over. I must have programmed hundreds if not thousands on Cisco routers, switches and ASA over the decades. Whether it is IGRP or EIGRP, static routes, or BGP4, subnets, supernets, CIDR blocks... if there is one thing I know, it's IP. There was no mistake on provisioning.

CwF said:
you need to remove gnomes' network manager and configure per systemd.
I'm not a Debian Guru and do not know how to remove gnomes' network manager and configure per systemd

CwF, Are you referring to this from chaper5 of the Debian manual?

A static network configuration can be set up by creating "/etc/systemd/network/static.network". E.g.:

[Match]
Name=en*

[Network]
Address=192.168.0.15/24
Gateway=192.168.0.1
There has to be more than creating the text file. I did that and it made no difference, and the example doesn't have a reference for the nameservers needed.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by CwF »

Take a few steps back...
Installed Y/N?

$  apt policy network-manager
network-manager:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 1.38.4-1
  Version table:
     1.38.4-1 500
        500 https://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 Packages
If it is installed, I am of no help.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-11-28 12:42 sunrat said:
Oh, yes I can. I may not be a Debian guru, but I am something of an IP guru,
I didn't mean specifically IP configuration in only the interfaces file. You said you have Gnome and Cinnamon. Either of these could have their own network configs.
In the wiki - https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager
NetworkManager will only handle interfaces not declared in /etc/network/interfaces
But:
If you want NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in /etc/network/interfaces:
Set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.
As CwF posted, if you have any network manager software installed, it may be overriding interfaces config. Perhaps a deeper rabbit hole.
If systemd-networkd is active, that's another branch in the warren.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

MikeLieberman

#13 Post by MikeLieberman »

I set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and rebooted with the file in systemd/network still in there. But no difference.

I logged in via XFCE and it made no difference, so I tried to change the IP assignment via the XFCE settings, but I could not get it to override the problem setting. Somewhere there is a file that can't be overwritten, because it has been set to read-only or the rights have been screwed in a different manner and I don't know where it is.

Syslog reports when I try to overwrite it:
2022-11-28T21:27:02.781972+08:00 redbox avahi-daemon[591]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface enp3s0.IPv4 with address 192.168.1.70.
2022-11-28T21:27:02.782166+08:00 redbox avahi-daemon[591]: Registering new address record for 192.168.1.70 on enp3s0.IPv4.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by CwF »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-11-29 01:10 IP assignment via the XFCE settings,
There is no such thing.
MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-11-29 01:10 Somewhere there is a file that can't be overwritten
Not on my systems.
MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-11-29 01:10 when I try to overwrite it:
overwrite what?
I do wonder wth you're talking about!
Enjoy.

MikeLieberman

#15 Post by MikeLieberman »

Dear CwF:
You wrote:
overwrite what?
I do wonder with you're talking about!
Enjoy.
Sorry for my opaqueness. What I mean to say is that when I attempted to use the settings app to change the IP address to the desired one, this is what I got in syslog as it threw out my attempt.

I said:
IP assignment via the XFCE settings, IP assignment via the XFCE settings,
You responded with:
There is no such thing.
I just find that odd. Are you saying that it isn't possible to log in under XFCE? Are you saying that there is no settings application in the XFCE bar on the top? Are you saying that it isn't possible to access the network config from there? Just what is not possible?

I wrote:
Somewhere there is a file that can't be overwritten
And you responded:
Not on my systems.
OK sure, and I have: (1) a desktop without this problem running Bullseye with backports. ; (2) a Debian Server running Bullseye without this problem (3) and a VM on that Server running Debian 10 without that problem, and (4) a laptop running Debian 11 without that the problem. I am in all honestly unsure of your meaning with that comment. Of the five Debian installs, I have this problem on one and only one computer.

reinob

#16 Post by reinob »

I think you should just look in your log (run, as root "journalctl -b" and look at the output) to find out how your network is being set up.

It could be network manager, or /etc/network/interfaces, or systemd-networkd, or even something else.

In the log, look for anything related to network configuration, and maybe post any lines that are (or look) relevant.

You could/should also post the output of "systemctl status systemd-networkd" to see if networkd is active.
and maybe also the output of "ps ax | grep dhcp" in case some DHCP client is also running.

MikeLieberman

#17 Post by MikeLieberman »

Hi reinob,

I did run journalctl -b and systemctl status systemd-networkd

I saw a vast about of stuff but nothing really stood out and I don't know enough about the inner workings of Linux to say anything more.
The ps ax grep command resulted in nothing and that is not a surprise as the system in manually configured. I am happy to post the most salient parts of the journal, but there are 113 lines of code. On a flyer, as BIND is installed, I removed BIND but it didn't make a difference.

Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NET: Registered PF_NETLINK/PF_ROUTE protocol family
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: iommu: Default domain type: Translated 
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: iommu: DMA domain TLB invalidation policy: lazy mode 
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NetLabel: Initializing
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NetLabel:  domain hash size = 128
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NetLabel:  protocols = UNLABELED CIPSOv4 CALIPSO
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NetLabel:  unlabeled traffic allowed by default
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NET: Registered PF_INET protocol family
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: IP idents hash table entries: 262144 (order: 9, 2097152 bytes, linear)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: tcp_listen_portaddr_hash hash table entries: 8192 (order: 5, 131072 bytes, linear)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: Table-perturb hash table entries: 65536 (order: 6, 262144 bytes, linear)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: TCP established hash table entries: 131072 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes, linear)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: TCP bind hash table entries: 65536 (order: 8, 1048576 bytes, linear)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: TCP: Hash tables configured (established 131072 bind 65536)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: MPTCP token hash table entries: 16384 (order: 6, 393216 bytes, linear)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: UDP hash table entries: 8192 (order: 6, 262144 bytes, linear)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: UDP-Lite hash table entries: 8192 (order: 6, 262144 bytes, linear)
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NET: Registered PF_UNIX/PF_LOCAL protocol family
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NET: Registered PF_XDP protocol family
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NET: Registered PF_INET6 protocol family
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: Segment Routing with IPv6
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: In-situ OAM (IOAM) with IPv6
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: mip6: Mobile IPv6
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: NET: Registered PF_PACKET protocol family
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: mpls_gso: MPLS GSO support
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0 eth0: RTL8168evl/8111evl, 30:85:a9:a2:58:51, XID 2c9, IRQ 27
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox kernel: r8169 0000:03:00.0 eth0: jumbo features [frames: 9194 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox systemd[1]: Inserted module 'autofs4'
Nov 29 08:52:12 redbox systemd[1]: systemd 252.1-1 running in system mode (+PAM +AUDIT +SELINUX +APPARMOR +IMA +SMACK +SECCOMP +GCRYPT -GNUTLS +OPENSSL +ACL +BLKID +CURL +ELFUTILS +FIDO2 +IDN2 -IDN +IPTC +KMOD +LIBCRYPTSETUP +LIBFDISK +PCRE2 -PWQUALITY -P11KIT +QRENCODE +TPM2 +BZIP2 +LZ4 +XZ +ZLIB +ZSTD -BPF_FRAMEWORK -XKBCOMMON +UTMP +SYSVINIT default-hierarchy=unifie
Nov 29 08:52:13 redbox systemd[1]: Listening on Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack Activation Socket.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox avahi-daemon[583]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface lo.IPv6 with address ::1.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox avahi-daemon[583]: New relevant interface lo.IPv6 for mDNS.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox avahi-daemon[583]: Joining mDNS multicast group on interface lo.IPv4 with address 127.0.0.1.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox avahi-daemon[583]: New relevant interface lo.IPv4 for mDNS.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox avahi-daemon[583]: Network interface enumeration completed.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox avahi-daemon[583]: Registering new address record for ::1 on lo.*.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox avahi-daemon[583]: Registering new address record for 127.0.0.1 on lo.IPv4.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager...
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Starting WPA supplicant...
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Started Avahi mDNS/DNS-SD Stack.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.7539] NetworkManager (version 1.40.4) is starting... (boot:192d0db2-b60d-4c60-8079-8c828c084f2a)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.7540] Read config: /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (lib: no-mac-addr-change.conf)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox ModemManager[647]: <info>  ModemManager (version 1.20.0) starting in system bus...
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Started Network Manager.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.7583] bus-manager: acquired D-Bus service "org.freedesktop.NetworkManager"
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Reached target Network.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.7726] manager[0x558f6753f000]: monitoring kernel firmware directory '/lib/firmware'.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.7726] monitoring ifupdown state file '/run/network/ifstate'.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox dbus-daemon[586]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.hostname1' unit='dbus-org.freedesktop.hostname1.service' requested by ':1.10' (uid=0 pid=609 comm="/usr/sbin/NetworkManager --no-daemon")
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Wait Online...
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Starting CUPS Scheduler...
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Started BIND Domain Name Server.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Reached target Host and Network Name Lookups.
AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="named" name="/sys/kernel/mm/transparent_hugepage/enabled" pid=663 comm="named" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=0 ouid=0
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.8730] hostname: hostname: using hostnamed
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: running as: named -f -u bind
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.8730] hostname: static hostname changed from (none) to "redbox"
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: compiled by GCC 12.2.0
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.8734] dns-mgr: init: dns=default,systemd-resolved rc-manager=symlink (auto)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: compiled with OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 3.0.5 5 Jul 2022
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.8736] manager[0x558f6753f000]: rfkill: Wi-Fi hardware radio set enabled
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: linked to OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 3.0.7 1 Nov 2022
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.8736] manager[0x558f6753f000]: rfkill: WWAN hardware radio set enabled
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: compiled with libxml2 version: 2.9.14
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: linked to libxml2 version: 20914
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: compiled with json-c version: 0.16
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: linked to json-c version: 0.16
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: compiled with zlib version: 1.2.11
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: linked to zlib version: 1.2.11
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: ----------------------------------------------------
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: BIND 9 is maintained by Internet Systems Consortium,
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: Inc. (ISC), a non-profit 501(c)(3) public-benefit
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: corporation.  Support and training for BIND 9 are
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: available at https://www.isc.org/support
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: ----------------------------------------------------
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: adjusted limit on open files from 524288 to 1048576
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: found 8 CPUs, using 8 worker threads
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: using 8 UDP listeners per interface
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: DNSSEC algorithms: RSASHA1 NSEC3RSASHA1 RSASHA256 RSASHA512 ECDSAP256SHA256 ECDSAP384SHA384 ED25519 ED448
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: DS algorithms: SHA-1 SHA-256 SHA-384
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: HMAC algorithms: HMAC-MD5 HMAC-SHA1 HMAC-SHA224 HMAC-SHA256 HMAC-SHA384 HMAC-SHA512
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: TKEY mode 2 support (Diffie-Hellman): yes
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: TKEY mode 3 support (GSS-API): yes
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: config.c: option 'trust-anchor-telemetry' is experimental and subject to change in the future
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: loading configuration from '/etc/bind/named.conf'
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: reading built-in trust anchors from file '/etc/bind/bind.keys'
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9316] Loaded device plugin: NMWwanFactory (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/NetworkManager/1.40.4/libnm-device-plugin-wwan.so)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: looking for GeoIP2 databases in '/usr/share/GeoIP'
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: using default UDP/IPv4 port range: [32768, 60999]
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: using default UDP/IPv6 port range: [32768, 60999]
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: listening on IPv4 interface lo, 127.0.0.1#53
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: IPv6 socket API is incomplete; explicitly binding to each IPv6 address separately
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: listening on IPv6 interface lo, ::1#53
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: generating session key for dynamic DNS
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: sizing zone task pool based on 7 zones
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9422] Loaded device plugin: NMTeamFactory (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/NetworkManager/1.40.4/libnm-device-plugin-team.so)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: none:99: 'max-cache-size 90%' - setting to 14132MB (out of 15702MB)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: obtaining root key for view _default from '/etc/bind/bind.keys'
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: set up managed keys zone for view _default, file 'managed-keys.bind'
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9510] Loaded device plugin: NMWifiFactory (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/NetworkManager/1.40.4/libnm-device-plugin-wifi.so)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox audit[662]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="capable" profile="/usr/sbin/cupsd" pid=662 comm="cupsd" capability=12  capname="net_admin"
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox named[663]: automatic empty zone: 120.100.IN-ADDR.ARPA
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9591] Loaded device plugin: NMBluezManager (/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/NetworkManager/1.40.4/libnm-device-plugin-bluetooth.so)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox systemd[1]: Starting Network Manager Script Dispatcher Service.
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9691] settings: Loaded settings plugin: ifupdown ("/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/NetworkManager/1.40.4/libnm-settings-plugin-ifupdown.so")
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9691] settings: Loaded settings plugin: keyfile (internal)
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9691] ifupdown: management mode: managed
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9691] ifupdown:       interface-parser: parsing file /etc/network/interfaces
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9692] ifupdown:       interface-parser: source line includes interfaces file(s) /etc/network/interfaces.d/*
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9692] ifupdown: interfaces file /etc/network/interfaces.d/* doesn't exist
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox NetworkManager[609]: <info>  [1669683134.9692] ifupdown:       interface-parser: finished parsing file /etc/network/interfaces
Nov 29 08:52:14 redbox sshd[687]: Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#18 Post by CwF »

It all feels like a turing tour to me!
So how did that blue ssd work out?

reinob

#19 Post by reinob »

@MikeLiberman,

Assuming that "systemctl status systemd-networkd" didn't output anything indicating that it's running, and in view of the lines of the journal that you've posted, it looks like you are using NetworkManager.

Oddly enough, NetworkManager seems to have an "ifupdown" plugin, which presumably makes it use /etc/network/interfaces, but I would assume that anything that NM can do must be configurable from the GUI (the "XFCE settings", which I guess is nm-applet, one of the available frontends for NM), so my best bet would be to look there.

You could also go to /etc and do "grep -r -F 192.168.1.70" and see if it pops out somewhere (unexpected).

(sorry I cannot help about NM. I've used it many many years ago and it was so buggy that I've never touched it again. Now I always use systemd-networkd, which works surprisingly well, both for wired and for wireless connections).

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

Re: [Testing - Bookworm] [Software] IP address refuses to change

#20 Post by donald »

@MikeLieberman

Did you purge bind9 completely? This thread reads as though when you installed BIND on your personal computer you may have assigned it a listening address.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank