Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Install-sh

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Awkward6804

[Software] Install-sh

#1 Post by Awkward6804 »

Hi all,

I am new to Linux and have been having a difficult time trying to install this particular program.

I am currently trying to install a program named Rufus. I downloaded the original file from SourceForge (Rufus 3.20.tar.gz)

I unzipped it fine. I am use to seeing install scripts labeled as 'install.sh' and then being able to run them using './install.sh' but the one that is included in the contents of the directory is labeled as 'install-sh'

Running sudo ./install-sh initially led to the output of 'sudo: ./install-sh: command not found' so then using 'chmod u+x install-sh' I made the file executable. Now if I run the same command from earlier 'sudo ./install-sh' I get the output of './install-sh: no input file specified.'

I decided to try and 'open install-sh' and at the very beginning of the file it has this written:
# Calling this script install-sh is preferred over install.sh, to prevent
# 'make' implicit rules from creating a file called install from it
# when there is no Makefile.

I don't understand what that means though. And obviously I'm still not sure how to get it to actually install. Everything I try to Google brings up issues relating to ./install.sh not install-sh, so I can't seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated.

arzgi

Re: [Software] Install-sh

#2 Post by arzgi »

Can you tell what are you trying achieve?

I've never needed rufus to make bootable usb.sticks.

peer

#3 Post by peer »

rufus is a windows program so it will not work on linux

jmgibson1981

#4 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Awkward6804 wrote: 2022-11-26 03:01 Hi all,

I am new to Linux and have been having a difficult time trying to install this particular program.

I am currently trying to install a program named Rufus. I downloaded the original file from SourceForge (Rufus 3.20.tar.gz)

I unzipped it fine. I am use to seeing install scripts labeled as 'install.sh' and then being able to run them using './install.sh' but the one that is included in the contents of the directory is labeled as 'install-sh'

Running sudo ./install-sh initially led to the output of 'sudo: ./install-sh: command not found' so then using 'chmod u+x install-sh' I made the file executable. Now if I run the same command from earlier 'sudo ./install-sh' I get the output of './install-sh: no input file specified.'

I decided to try and 'open install-sh' and at the very beginning of the file it has this written:
# Calling this script install-sh is preferred over install.sh, to prevent
# 'make' implicit rules from creating a file called install from it
# when there is no Makefile.

I don't understand what that means though. And obviously I'm still not sure how to get it to actually install. Everything I try to Google brings up issues relating to ./install.sh not install-sh, so I can't seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
You will find that many things you need to add to Windows for basic functionality is already included in most distros by default. In this case... something I learned recently.

Code: Select all

sudo cp "$ISO" /dev/sdX
Where iso is your file you are trying to put on the flash drive, and /dev/sdX is the /dev location of your flash drive. Double check the dev id to make sure not to overwrite something you don't intend to.

Blainedebi

#5 Post by Blainedebi »

I can recommend you to using WoeUSB. It does running like Rufus.