Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] Can't alter files after data migration to new laptop

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
guy13

[Solved] Can't alter files after data migration to new laptop

#1 Post by guy13 »

Hi all,
I recently migrated all my data from an old laptopt with Win7+Debian dual boot to a brand new one with Win11+Debian 11 Bullseye dual boot.
Everything seemed hunky dory until I tried to add some numbers to a Libreoffice Calc file (which btw opened as "read only" initially) and it turned out I could not save the file. I tried copying it and renaming it but that doesn't work either. It seems I can't create or alter any files in my filesystem (not just Libreoffice stuff).

I checked permissions and I can't see the problem: my username and UID are identical on both laptops and every directory and file has me as owner and rwx as permissions for the owner. Only the toplevel directory /media has root as owner and the following as permissions: drwxr-x---+ but that's the same on the old laptop and I had no trouble there.

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by guy13 on 2022-11-29 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Software] Can't alter files after data migration to new laptop

#2 Post by sunrat »

I don't know Win11 but Win10 had a common problem in that if Fast Startup was active in Win, it could leave all files in an NTFS partition in a hybrid suspend state which would subsequently appear as read-only in Linux. Check if Fast Startup is active in Windows and disable it. I tested it once and startup was ~2 seconds faster but shutdown was way more seconds slower so it's ultimately useless.
Note it's NOT the same as Fast Boot in BIOS/UEFI setup, that's irrelevant to this issue.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

guy13

#3 Post by guy13 »

Thanks for solving my problem so swiftly and accurately, sunrat.
Win11 being Win10 with some extra intrusion into one's privacy (as far as I understand), it has indeed Fast Startup enabled by default. Disabling this allowed me to open said Calc file in the normal way and saving it after adding data.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

@guy13 You're welcome! :D
Please edit the title of your first post to add prefix [Solved] so it may help others.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!