Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE Plasma graphical login fail

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

KDE Plasma graphical login fail

#1 Post by sunrat »

Bullseye KDE Plasma. It's been working for 20 months.
At login screen I can enter the password but it then does nothing. Pressing Enter key is unresponsive and keyboard subsequently seems to become unresponsive too, dots show for password but I'm not able to delete or add to them. Mouse cursor moves but won't interact with anything on the login screen like shutdown and restart icons.
Tried another keyboard.
Tried dpkg-reconfigure sddm
Even booted to console login and reinstalled grub-efi. All files appear to be present. Partition is 49% full.
Tried renewing password from console.
There are several other distros on the disk and they boot and log in fine. Currently posting from a Buster install.

I don't ask questions here often but this one has me stumped.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

andyprough

Re: KDE Plasma graphical login fail

#2 Post by andyprough »

Hi Sunrat, Your good friend HOAS says have a look at this bug report - you need to switch to gdm or something - https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=996503

Also, "wayland is dead, long live Xorg", and "Lennart has gone over to the dark side and all Debian users must immediately abandon ship". Or maybe HOAS didn't say that, maybe that was just me not being able to help myself from a little bit of trolling.

Anyway, good luck and Merry Christmas

Update: HOAS says - "HoaS thinks this bug might be relevant — can you get to the desktop with `startx` from a console login?" And says, "@sunrat is a smart cookie so I'm sure they can take it from there."

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by sunrat »

@andyprough Thank HoaS for me. He's a smart cookie and I miss him around here.

That bug report is over a year old and for Bookworm but I will try a different DM, didn't think of that.
startx gives "command not found". systemctl isolate graphical.target brings me to the login screen with same fault.
nvidia-driver was last updated on 9 Sept but curiously it shows 2 versions installed

Code: Select all

nvidia-driver:amd64 (470.129.06-6~deb11u1, 470.141.03-1~deb11u1)
I have definitely rebooted several times since then. Will try purge/reinstall of that first.

Edit 30 minutes later - I purged/reinstalled nvidia. No joy. Purged sddm and installed lightdm (gdm3 wanted to install a mass of rubbish with it). Got to log in but Plasma wouldn't start because "no write access to /home/me". I think I know what happened. Big PEBCAK on my part. Gotta go take the car to mechanic now but think I know how to fix it. Later! :roll: :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Fixed it by chmod $HOME directory. I think I accidentally damaged it by writing a file as root to /home/user/ instead of to /home/user/filename. Dumbarse me! Learning experience at least. Note to self: read signature and do it more often. I did have a backup from a few days ago but had written important stuff there since then so didn't want to restore that one.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

artytux

#5 Post by artytux »

Sorry sunrat
I have to put a smile on your face, mostly aussies only will know this

Shame Shame Shame

Glad you fixed with ease

Regards
artytux

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

Thanks @artytux Took several hours to suss it. Installing lightdm showed the read-only error message so it was more obvious after that. Reinstalled sddm anyway and all seems copacetic.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!