Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Attempt at a simple DHCP server failed in apt on Debian 10 & 11

Linux Kernel, Network, and Services configuration.
MikeLieberman

[Software] Attempt at a simple DHCP server failed in apt on Debian 10 & 11

#1 Post by MikeLieberman »

I was trying to install a DHCP server on a Debian 10 VM system. This baby server runs my home mail server/BIND9/apache2... all without any problems. I have a WiFi access point supporting DHCP now, but wanted to move it onto my VM for more secure management.

Code: Select all

root@Mail:/home/mike# apt install isc-dhcp-server
But the package will not install.

Code: Select all

root@Mail:/home/mike# systemctl status isc-dhcp-server.service
isc-dhcp-server.service - LSB: DHCP server
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/isc-dhcp-server; generated)
   Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2022-12-01 17:58:55 PST; 3min 16s ago
     Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
So, I created a new Debian 11 VM (command line only) using the basic Debian net-install. I tried the DHCP server install on that system with exactly the same result.

Does anyone have any insight about this?

jmgibson1981

Re: [Software] Attempt at a simple DHCP server failed in apt on Debian 10 & 11

#2 Post by jmgibson1981 »

It installed fine. You need to configure it.

https://wiki.debian.org/DHCP_Server

MikeLieberman

#3 Post by MikeLieberman »

It installed fine. You need to configure it.
Thanks for the info. The wiki you reference (which I had read) did not mention that the install would produce errors. Maybe someone should update the wiki?

jmgibson1981

#4 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Forgive me. Your information posted doesn't show errors. It simply says it failed to start, most likely because it isn't configured yet.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

FWIW, dnsmasq does DHCP and DNS and is pretty easy and lightweight for a home network.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

MikeLieberman

#6 Post by MikeLieberman »

FWIW, dnsmasq does DHCP and DNS and is pretty easy and lightweight for a home network.
Maybe, but this isn't a simple home network.

For what is it worth, the wiki sucks. It doesn't mention the need to directly edit /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf but that is needed. There are conflicts between what is needed in that and in the etc/default/isc-dhpc-server file.

It also doesn't mention that reservation listings (I have around thirty of them) should seeming be inside the OPTIONS"[here]"

I have gotten the service to load, now I need to find out if it works.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-12-03 06:48
Maybe, but this isn't a simple home network.
Of course.
dnsmasq can do rocket science too.
For what is it worth, the wiki sucks. It doesn't mention the need to directly edit /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf but that is needed./
Really?
https://wiki.debian.org/DHCP_Server#Configuration wrote:For a basic configuration, you have to add/edit the following lines in /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
There are conflicts between what is needed in that and in the etc/default/isc-dhpc-server file.
How so?
It also doesn't mention that reservation listings (I have around thirty of them) should seeming be inside the OPTIONS"[here]"

I have gotten the service to load, now I need to find out if it works.
The wiki is not meant to be exhaustive.
For a 'complex setup' you could probably benefit by reading the documentation for the software you have chosen.
https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/is ... .8.en.html
https://manpages.debian.org/bullseye/is ... .5.en.html

el_koraco

#8 Post by el_koraco »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-12-03 06:48 Maybe, but this isn't a simple home network.
You are the IP provisioning guru, right? If so, take some time and look into dnsmasq, it serves both as a DHCP and a DNS server, which can accommodate up to 1000 clients. All the cool kids use it to set up networks, OpenWRT, PiHole and so on. I personally use it as a DNS caching daemon instead of systemd-resolved, since unlike systemd-resolved it never interferes with any other service in the home network. I used to use it as a LAN DNS cacher/"server", but my "server" died, so I am waiting for a good price on a new one. I think I will probably go with a Pi of some kind for that.

MikeLieberman

#9 Post by MikeLieberman »

All the cool kids use it to set up networks,
Well, I'm not a cool kid, I am a old war horse who cut his teeth on BIND many, many years ago. And for what it's worth, the number of clients who need the same thing is not a complex situation, its just a simple situation writ large. Maybe dnsmasq might have worked for me, but I already have BIND running the way I wanted it to run, and isc-dhcp-server is a small footprint service which will do the balance of what I need.

For what it's worth, I got isc-dhcp-server running on it's own Debian 11 VM. I never claimed to be up-to-date on the new cool tools. I was simply saying I know IP provisioning like other folks know how to walk.

As far as the apt-get install issue that others say it wasn't an error message. Well, respectfully, I disagree.

The installer should have stopped with a text message saying something like, OK, you're good, and from here the fails to load messages you see with be because you need to configure two files. And the message should stay on the screen until the installer acknowledges the message.

As far as
The wiki is not meant to be exhaustive.
I find that a bit silly, for two reasons. First it provides misleading information. Second it fails to provide the initial critical information. What it does provide belongs in the exhaustive material. Hubris of those who have done something before can create a sense of 'hey you should know better.' I got it working, not for anything I got here, but because I worked through the error messages, the text in the two config files and a lot of trial and error.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

I call bollocks.
If you follow the wiki, you have a working system.
MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-12-03 15:53 First it provides misleading information.
Such as?
MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-12-03 15:53 Second it fails to provide the initial critical information.
Such as?
MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-12-03 15:53 I got it working, not for anything I got here, but because I worked through the error messages, the text in the two config files and a lot of trial and error.
That's the usual method if you don't read the instructions. ;)

MikeLieberman

#11 Post by MikeLieberman »

Well, @dilberts_left_nut You can call it bullocks. You can call the moon an oreo.

As for providing a complete rewrite of the wiki, no, I'll take a pass, as I will also pass on a rewrite of the man page. Both are wrong. How? My god man, just follow them and nothing else and you won't have a damned thing running. Your assumption that I didn't read is possibly a reflection of what you think of others rather than what has happened here. I will let the insult pass, though remembered.

el_koraco

#12 Post by el_koraco »

MikeLieberman wrote: 2022-12-03 15:53 For what it's worth, I got isc-dhcp-server running on it's own Debian 11 VM. I never claimed to be up-to-date on the new cool tools. I was simply saying I know IP provisioning like other folks know how to walk.
Suit yourself, I was simply giving you an alternative. In a small network, dnsmasq does everything BIND9 does, but with almost no configuration to speak of. Back in the day, I remember caching my DNS with unbound too, then I "moved on" to systemd-resolved, but none of them worked as hassle free as dnsmasq. I really just love the program. The coolest thing about it is it requires no wiki or even manpage, the configuration file it comes with explains everything.