Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Issues With Installing a GUI (Window Manager, DE, Etc.)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
act

Issues With Installing a GUI (Window Manager, DE, Etc.)

#1 Post by act »

My post history on this forum has entirely consisted of trying to install some sort graphical interface on a Dell Vostro 1510 Laptop, that has a Nvidia GeForce 8400M GS graphics card. Obviously, since it's Nvidia, I've ran into issues trying to get Xorg and subsequently my WM/DE of choice up and running.

I decided to go for yet another clean install of Debian 10, using Debian 10 over 11 because the specific non-nouveau drivers for the graphics card only works on Debian 10 and below - and even if I'll use nouveau, there's a chance Debian 10 plays better with ancient cards like mine. Anyways, I booted up "Graphical Install" by accident and, to my shock, what I presume to be a GUI loaded with no issues. Beforehand, Xorg would always give me an error when being ran. Now, keep in mind that I cannot copy and paste errors because of the nature of this issue, and by consequence, most of these errors are written from memory or copied by hand. With that being said, my first error printed that it "Cannot run in framebuffer mode! (If any elaboration is needed/wanted, such as any other errors, the specific message, or the context of this error, feel free to ask.) and yet with the "Graphical Install" mode, there was no issue. With that being kept in mind, I proceeded to do the traditional CLI-based install because I didn't have a mouse with me, and the trackpad on this laptop didn't work.

Then, I proceeded to select the options to "Install Debian Desktop Environment" and "LXDE" when the step came up. However, after the install, TTY1 would simply be a blank screen with only the... input character (?) "_" blinking in the top-left corner of the screen. Switching to another TTY, and then back to TTY1 would then take me to the CLI login screen. Running Xorg would give me the same error as stated before.

So... uh... yeah? I'm not sure what's going on here, but some guidance and consultation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

manyroads

Re: Issues With Installing a GUI (Window Manager, DE, Etc.)

#2 Post by manyroads »

Why don't you simply download a LiveUSB with a DE already installed on it and see how it works on your unit (which btw. we have zero details on). If the LiveUSB works should be able to install using that...
Pax vobiscum,
Mark Rabideau- Prof Genealogist - http://many-roads.com
Linux BLOG https://eirenicon.org
spectrwm,i3wm,hlwm,bspwm,dwm
Linux User #449130

act

#3 Post by act »

manyroads wrote: 2022-12-16 14:26 Why don't you simply download a LiveUSB with a DE already installed on it and see how it works on your unit (which btw. we have zero details on). If the LiveUSB works should be able to install using that...
I really hate to ask this, and I know it's a really bottom-of-the-barrel question, but does a "Live USB" refer to a USB that you're able to boot a system with, and subsequently install with?

NorthEast

#4 Post by NorthEast »

act asked:
does a "Live USB" refer to a USB that you're able to boot a system with, and subsequently install with?
yes