Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Should I contribute?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
MiracleDinner

Should I contribute?

#1 Post by MiracleDinner »

I've been using Debian for a few months now and noticed that there are some software, including some FOSS software, that are unavailable in Debian repositories. I have been thinking, what if I could save other people the hassle I had to go through, by making the software readily available in the repositories? But I'm unsure how much of a commitment that would be, because I am at university and I could not afford several hours a week to be maintaining packages. What things should I consider if I am deciding whether or not I should contribute? Are there any particular skills I need to have? How many hours per week would it require from me?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: Should I contribute?

#2 Post by cds60601 »

If you are interested in maintaining packages or adding new ones, this is a perfect place to begin the understanding of what it takes and some guidelines to follow: https://www.debian.org/devel/

And particularly this one: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debmake-doc/

And for a list of packages to consider adopting and or helping with: https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

Years ago, I was much the same boat as you. I went through the process of adopting some small packages and gaining a Mentor.
The short of it is this, depending on your programming knowledge, start off by adopting small packages to get the feel on how the process flow is.
Gain a Mentor and possibly join a team (Python etc.). There is a significant amount of time that is involved (again, depending on you programming talents) but to become a full fledged dev, it will take a good bit of time.
So, take it slow and allow yourself time
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

MiracleDinner

#3 Post by MiracleDinner »

Yes, I was thinking I could start with a very simple package like this: https://github.com/erkin/ponysay which at the moment I can easily git clone the repo and then run "sudo ./setup.py --freedom=partial install" within its directory. It's written in Python3 and seems like it would be one of the simplest possible packages to contribute. I feel like I would like to contribute it to the repos because then it will be simpler for other Debian users to access and keep up to date.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by cds60601 »

Sounds good and I wish you all the best. Don't forget to read up on the links I posted. There are guidelines you must follow.
To be honest, I was reviewing the orphaned packages last night thinking now that I have time, I should get back into this again.
Still mulling that over of course.

MiracleDinner

#5 Post by MiracleDinner »

So when you say it will take a significant amount of time, is that something I can take at my own pace or is there a minimum number of hours per week I'd need to allocate to it?

E.g. if I am the "owner" of a package that has an upstream release once a month, am I required to repackage and upload it every month ASAP after the upstream release? How much time would that take me roughly speaking? What if I want to contribute a software that has multiple upstream releases a day?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by cds60601 »

MiracleDinner wrote: 2022-12-24 17:22 So when you say it will take a significant amount of time, is that something I can take at my own pace or is there a minimum number of hours per week I'd need to allocate to it?
It's always on your time... To a point. If there is an issue, you'll want to ensure it gets taken care of. Most likely with the upstream I would suspect. Of course, once you submit an app or adopt one, you become the focal point of fixes and possible requests from users.
MiracleDinner wrote: 2022-12-24 17:22 E.g. if I am the "owner" of a package that has an upstream release once a month, am I required to repackage and upload it every month ASAP after the upstream release? How much time would that take me roughly speaking? What if I want to contribute a software that has multiple upstream releases a day?
I'm pretty certain that you'll want to update "your package" as soon as upstream updates his/hers. That kinda goes without saying I think.
Addressing something that has multiple upstream updates, that's a good question. You'll want to pose that to your Mentor once a Mentor opts to support you as I'm unable to answer that one.
Keep in mind, it's been a long spell since I did this so some processes may have changed a bit.

SamuelMac

#7 Post by SamuelMac »

Perhaps start out as a member of a team so you can find out what it is all about.

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#8 Post by lindi »

SamuelMac wrote: 2023-03-24 18:36 Perhaps start out as a member of a team so you can find out what it is all about.
Seconded, I would highly recommend to help with an existing package first. If you try to package something new you will first need to convince a developer to upload it for you which can be tricky if you don't have previous experience.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by cds60601 »

lindi wrote: 2023-03-25 10:17
SamuelMac wrote: 2023-03-24 18:36 Perhaps start out as a member of a team so you can find out what it is all about.
Seconded, I would highly recommend to help with an existing package first. If you try to package something new you will first need to convince a developer to upload it for you which can be tricky if you don't have previous experience.
This is what a Mentor does. There are Debian lists that are particular to devs where one can ask to be sponsored. The links I presented outlines the process one must take. One can't just package without going through the steps to ensure all the required bits are on your system and then having a Mentor sponsor you is a long process. Be prepared to invest many, many hours before you actually become a dev where you can upload on your own. Unlike the AUR, where most anyone can submit a package, there are stringent guidelines one must follow.

I'm not trying to scare potential contributors away, but one must go into this with eyes wide open so they don't get frustrated with the process and how long it takes. As I mentioned before, if you are willing to invest the time, it can be very rewarding.

MiracleDinner

#10 Post by MiracleDinner »

Thank you everyone for your advice.