Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

BUG report for Debian 11 - 64 Bit (Bullseye)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
lkraemer

BUG report for Debian 11 - 64 Bit (Bullseye)

#1 Post by lkraemer »

I've had Debian 11 - 64 Bit installed for a good while, and I've noticed a BUG when trying to copy files
to my PCloud Account.

Distributor ID: Debian - XFCE Desktop
Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Release: 11
Codename: bullseye

I've sent debian-user@lists.debian.org an email asking for help with the report. So far, there has been no response.
The BUG is in the Window selection, and not in a specific package, ie. Thunar

If you look at the attached png files you will see that the window is cropped and there is no way to access
the last four files, and transfer them to my PCloud account. Those files are ZORBA2-0{1..4}.png, and are shown
in Debian-BUG1.png

It should be easy to fix the BUG, by going back to the same File Transfer Window that Debian 8, 9, and 10 used.
This cropped window doesn't allow access to all files.

Larry

Debian-BUG.png
Debian-BUG1.png

codejp3

Re: BUG report for Debian 11 - 64 Bit (Bullseye)

#2 Post by codejp3 »

I'm going to try to replicate this. I've never seen that in Thunar yet.

If you have zippycontacts.txt select (like pic 1) can you select the 4 files below it by hitting "shift" + down key? What about just trying to use the down key to cycle through the files?

If you hit "ctrl" + "a" key, does it highlight them and include them in the selected files?

Is it only when trying to select files for upload to your PCloud account?

Is it only those 4 ZORBA files, or does it happen with other files in other directories as well?

Is is only in the "select files for upload" dialog popup screen, or does it also happen elsewhere?

Just trying to narrow down what the possible cause could be.

lkraemer

#3 Post by lkraemer »

Here is a bit more information about my Laptop. It is an HP Elitebook 8470P with a 14" screen.
The Display is set for 1366 x 768 which is 16:9.

I've used this same Laptop with Debian 10 and did not have the problem when Uploading files to
my PCloud account.

The problem isn't associated with Thunar, it's associated with the different style/type window that was
changed in Version 11 (Bullseye). My nephew says it's because the window selected by the Debian
developers requires a resolution greater than my Laptop is able to display. He says if I connect a 22"
Monitor to my laptop, the complete window will be displayed, and I'll be able to pick them. I can test
that theory to see if it works.

Your Question 1 "What about just trying to use the down key to cycle through the files?"
If I use the Down Arrow I can select the file, but it isn't visible to me, as to what has been selected.
It will upload to my PCloud account.

If I tap the down arrow twice I get the file two below where the highlight is positioned, but I have no
clue as to what that file is until after I see it uploaded to my PCloud account.

I'll have to do more testing tonight on your other questions, as I'm running short on time.

THANKS for taking the time to try to resolve this issue. It's a real issue, but maybe just laptop users will see it.

Larry

lkraemer

#4 Post by lkraemer »

codejp3,
I grabbed the file transfer window, pulled it down and shrunk it a bit, and using the SHIFT down arrow I can select
each file and transfer it to my PCloud account. Of course CNTL A will select all to transfer but it is too many files
to actually transfer.

"Is it only when trying to select files for upload to your PCloud account?" That is the ONLY time I have noticed the problem.

"Is it only those 4 ZORBA files, or does it happen with other files in other directories as well?" I've ran across it before, but I
can usually locate the files I want by changing the sort order to sort descending, or by last used or most rescent used.

"Is it only in the "select files for upload" dialog popup screen, or does it also happen elsewhere? I have only noticed it during
the uploading to my PCloud account.

"Is it only those 4 ZORBA files, or does it happen with other files in other directories as well? I've had this happen with other files,
I just used the Zorba Files as an example, that should give you a scenario to reproduce the problem.

If you look at the type/style of Window that is used for uploading and selecting files in Debian 10, why can't that same window type/style
be used in Debian 11? That would be an easy fix, and assure Laptop users don't have to carry a 22" monitor with them to see
the contents of a window, or continually have to resize the upload window to see the contents?

Thanks.

Larry