Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] Bookmark management?

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

[Discussion] Bookmark management?

#1 Post by donald »

I tend to have a lot of tabs open, read a lot, or while researching something save and bookmark the tabs. It's near impossible to find anything in this now massive bookmark collection spanning years and multiple computers. What do you all do for bookmarks? Any personal system of sorting? Do you not save them?
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Discussion] Bookmark management?

#2 Post by canci »

I want to move to a text only thing one day, I.e. just save everything into a text file with the address, description and a tag. And also just convert any Firefox bookmarks to that.
Wow, new project. Thanks :lol:
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

donald

#3 Post by donald »

I like that idea! It would make a lot more sense especially the description part. A good amount of this massive bookmark library are pages I've saved for a paragraph of text alone from the webpage. It would be easier to have a system that I could document the WHY I am saving the bookmark and sometimes how I got to that page (the rabbit hole theory) :).
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

kedaha

#4 Post by kedaha »

Hi,
In firefox, my solution is to create more profiles!
about:profiles
This page helps you to manage your profiles. Each profile is a separate world which contains separate history, bookmarks, settings and add-ons.
Be sure to have an about:profiles bookmark so you can switch profiles easily.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by NFT5 »

I have hundreds of them! Some sorted in folders by topic, a lot of the earlier ones just in one giant jumble.

I'm fortunate that I can pretty much remember what's there and, usually, where it is.

BUT.....

I've been making it a point to visit some of the old bookmarks and, to my horror, they're gone. Not the bookmark but the page that I bookmarked. Website gone or site rearranged. Sometimes I've been able to find it but usually whatever I bookmarked that page for is lost.

For websites that I visit regularly I keep bookmarks in FF. For information that is, or may become valuable, I now copy the page, download the pdf or whatever I have to do to save it locally.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by cds60601 »

Mine is along the same lines as NTFS. I started a post that outlined everything but removed it since it seemed irrelevant since most folks (I would think) did much the same.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

artytux

#7 Post by artytux »

Same as NTFS and cds60601

I keep the I will revisit sites bookmarks in folders in folders in folders, same also save as pdf pages sometimes pdf shuffler or similar delete parts and save.

I try to minimize the amount of bookmarks I have that just never works within a week or two I've added more than removed before.

Sites disappearing is one of reasons I save as pdf in the last few years (even some linux support forums have collapsed).

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#8 Post by cds60601 »

See, I have a crap load of bookmarks. And that's Ok. It's having tabs (sites) open I can't deal with. I never seem to have more than 3 or 4 sites open at a given time. It baffles me that some folks will have 30 or 40 sites open at once.

donald

#9 Post by donald »

kedaha wrote: 2023-01-02 21:25 Hi,
In firefox, my solution is to create more profiles!
about:profiles
This page helps you to manage your profiles. Each profile is a separate world which contains separate history, bookmarks, settings and add-ons.
Be sure to have an about:profiles bookmark so you can switch profiles easily.
haha, a lot more work though. I can't even handle all the nonsense from one profile. To your credit a few years ago I got a bad extension, dumped everything and started a new profile. So not a horrible idea either. :)
cds60601 wrote: 2023-01-04 21:17 See, I have a crap load of bookmarks. And that's Ok. It's having tabs (sites) open I can't deal with. I never seem to have more than 3 or 4 sites open at a given time. It baffles me that some folks will have 30 or 40 sites open at once.
I have 15 open right now. :D

I may try what @NFT5 and you all are doing with printing a .pdf of some pages. I can only imagine how many of these saved sites are no longer online. I could venture a guess that 1/3 of the sites saved are no longer there, probably 1/2 considering the time it goes back.

I'm trying a new extension in FF called Toby. It allows for saving bookmarks into top level folders and one can retrieve them on any computer, it keeps a tab open that holds your other tabs and you can drop things into folders directly on that page. Pretty nifty. I was concerned with 3rd party use of data, but considering FF does a sync feature as well, it is kind of a moot point.
Typo perfectionish.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by canci »

I started saving really poignant articles or blog entries as plain text exactly because stuff tends to disappear if it's not from a big site or wasn't accidentally crawled by archive.org
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#11 Post by cds60601 »

canci wrote: 2023-01-04 22:30 I started saving really poignant articles or blog entries as plain text exactly because stuff tends to disappear if it's not from a big site or wasn't accidentally crawled by archive.org
This is exactly what I do. It may be poor management but I tend to keep 2 txt files in my home directory. One called Arch, the other Debian. Within are links (in a few cases) but more apt to be short docs on how to do things depending on whatever.
A good example for Debian: I have to use VMWare Horizon client (under Debian, of course) so with that file is the "How To" get it working after a good bit of searching. This one I found has been flawless minus the adjusting of the python version.

But to stay on topic, I agree with Donald, doing the "housekeeping" to clear out dead links can be a bit of a task so I opt to do that once a year on my "winter vacation", which I'm on now. It is sad to see a fair amount dead and even sadder to see that some of the links have not been updated/added to in a few years.
When they are 2 years old, its time to PDF 'em.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by canci »

The housekeeping in Firefox isn't all that bad. It's basically just using keyboard arrows and the delete key, sometimes it's dragging items to a different subfolder. But I prefer a text file with all my bookmarks, because then I get to use vim <3

READ THIS:

donald

#13 Post by donald »

canci wrote: 2023-01-05 09:20 because then I get to use vim <3

VI is the true Editor and the Unifier of the people. :shifty-eyes:
Typo perfectionish.

kedaha

#14 Post by kedaha »

donald wrote: 2023-01-04 22:04 haha, a lot more work though. I can't even handle all the nonsense from one profile. To your credit a few years ago I got a bad extension, dumped point. To your credit a few years ago I got a bad extension, dumped everything and started a new profile. So not a horrible idea either. :)
Having more than one profile is, in my view, essential when languages other than English are used. I find it much less work to click on my "about:profiles" bookmark and then "Launch profile in a new browser" to have everything in Spanish and do searches in Spanish. And obviously, if English is the default language, then results in this language are prioritized. It would be horrible indeed for me to have bookmarks in different languages all jumbled together. Similarly, a separate profile, for example, might be created for all things Debian rather than have technical stuff mixed together with bookmarks for music and films etc.
I think that once you get used to having more than one profile with its specific extensions, it makes things much less cluttered and you may, in time, come to change your opinion and see the beauty of the idea. :wink:
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#15 Post by cds60601 »

donald wrote: 2023-01-05 09:47

There ya go, ya just had to be an instigator and start a holy war, didn't you /insert sheepish grin

donald

#16 Post by donald »

cds60601 wrote: 2023-01-05 15:15
donald wrote: 2023-01-05 09:47

There ya go, ya just had to be an instigator and start a holy war, didn't you /insert sheepish grin
I'm just trying to say that Emacs is the nutritional equivalent of Celery in the world of the editing. :lol: :mrgreen:
Typo perfectionish.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#17 Post by canci »

I love the Emacs integration and I'm envious of orgmode as a vim user, but I just couldn't get behind the Death Grip-like 3-key-combos in fear of developing carpal tunnel syndrome, although I'm convinced that, after using those for a while, Emacs users can pinch your nerves and end your life in a split second, so that's why I don't start wars with them. :lol:

BTW, I'm sure that if I googled emacs and bookmarks, there's probably a lisp script that's eons ahead of anything I could wish for.

READ THIS:

Shamak

#18 Post by Shamak »

Incidentally, my solution is to bookmark anything that might be useful later on. All in "Other Bookmarks". Then to promptly forget that I bookmarked the page and do an internet search yet again for the topic only to find that I had already bookmarked that page. And I keep repeating this process.

Works for me! :lol:

Region5_IHC

#19 Post by Region5_IHC »

donald wrote: 2023-01-02 18:50 I tend to have a lot of tabs open, read a lot, or while researching something save and bookmark the tabs. It's near impossible to find anything in this now massive bookmark collection spanning years and multiple computers. What do you all do for bookmarks? Any personal system of sorting? Do you not save them?
Thank you for asking this question! I literally have so many questions similar to this that I don't ask/are reluctant to ask because I don't want to get smoked by the Linux "OG's" for asking a dumb question...

So here is my dumb question...How do I save webpages/Bookmarks to PDF? Ive only been able to save as an HTML.
Is there another way to save a webpage besides the settings tab in top right hand corner, then "save page as..Ctrl+S"?

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#20 Post by sunrat »

Region5_IHC wrote: 2023-02-23 01:04So here is my dumb question...How do I save webpages/Bookmarks to PDF? Ive only been able to save as an HTML.
Is there another way to save a webpage besides the settings tab in top right hand corner, then "save page as..Ctrl+S"?
In Firefox, click hamburger menu in the toolbar and select Print then Save to PDF.

I didn't know that either but wanted to, found answer in a couple of seconds by web search.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!