Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Networking] Edimax EW-7811UAC AC600 drivers

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
LameHand

[Networking] Edimax EW-7811UAC AC600 drivers

#1 Post by LameHand »

Hello, I need to help with installation drivers for Edimax EW-7811UAC AC600.

My instalation is Debian 11 (5.10.0-20-amd64) with xfce (simple HTPC machine). I need to install some GUI for wirelles connection and then I need install driver for USB wifi adapter. Is it possible to help me? I tryed much manuals and procedures but I was not succesfull :( .

Thanks for help.

lsusb
Bus 002 Device 004: ID 7392:a812 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd Edimax AC600 USB

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Networking] Edimax EW-7811UAC AC600 drivers

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

For wifi in xfce, you should have NetworkManager Applet in the panel. If there is no connection it may not be coming up.

A quick web search suggests the driver is not in Debian and you need to compile it from source.

https://edimax.freshdesk.com/support/so ... -than-v4-1

https://docs.alfa.com.tw/Support/Linux/RTL8812AU/

There are instructions in the first link, but there seems to be more than one driver at Github.

https://github.com/morrownr/8812au-20210629

Unfortunately I'm offline for a while. I would suggest you wait for a while until you get some definitive advice on which driver to use. Hopefully somebody else will give you some advice, if not I'll be back later.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

If you search the forum for 'Edimax AC600', you will find that several users have had the same issue. As I said above, driver is not in Debian and you need to compile it from source.

stevepusser has been kind enough to build the driver for users in the past, but those builds are against older kernels and so won't work.

There seem to be quite a few open source drivers for this device. I would go with the one they recommend.

https://edimax.freshdesk.com/support/so ... -than-v4-1

I would go with step 8 (a) so you don't need to recompile the driver every time you update the kernel.

I know compiling source code might not be the first thing you would want to do as a beginner, but it should be a fairly easy process, and you can always ask for help if ti goes wrong.

LameHand

#4 Post by LameHand »

Thanks for your time, unfortunately I still can't connect, but apparently it will be some problem with WPS, which is turned on for some reason. If it could be turned off permanently with a parameter, then I will have won :-)

Is there any:

- USB
- PCI Express 2.0 x16 Slot (PCIE1 @ x4 mode)
- mini-PCI Express

WiFi card that works 100% under Debian 11? Or what to focus on, which chipset and the like?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Did you actual try compiling the driver? As you actually have the hardware, and getting it to work just means following a fairly simple set of steps, isn't it worth a try?

WPS is turned off in router settings. I believe it's not secure any more. I remember turning it off on my previous router which had a button.

Searching the forum for 'wifi adapter' would be a good idea. The same question was asked recently:

viewtopic.php?p=764939&hilit=wifi+adapter#p764939

A web search for 'debian compatible wifi card' brings up the Debian Wiki on the subject, and several 'best/top' reviews.

LameHand

#6 Post by LameHand »

Solved. Thank you for your help :-)