Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Hardware] "Free as in Free Beer" hardware donations, part II.

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

[Hardware] "Free as in Free Beer" hardware donations, part II.

#1 Post by donald »

Some time ago, user /tmp started the original -"Free as in Free Beer" Hardware /home - thread where users could donate and send hardware or computing parts to other users locally or across the world who were in need of parts.

For prosperity and to refresh the idea, below is his original post:
/tmp wrote:Over the past few years I have acquired various working computer parts via friends, family and co-workers. I am listing these items "Free as in Free Beer" on the forum for anyone who is interested.
Since these are fairly light items, I can ship them for lower costs. If costs become prohibitive -- e.g. shipping lots of parts -- I will investigate opening up a PayPal account dedicated exclusively to raising shipping funds.

Why would I like to do this? From a philosophical and socio-political standpoint I feel this is the best way to help my fellow Free Software comrades. After all, Free Software is only great if it has compatible hardware to run on.

I also realize there are members across the globe in situations which prohibit expensive hardware acquisitions.
For example, there may be users who need DDR2 RAM or older GPUs for their systems.
At the end of the day this is my way of extending a helping hand to those in need.

If anyone else has parts they want to share with others, feel free to post in this thread.
Let me know if there are particular parts you are looking for and I will definitely search for them!
I will update this post as often as possible.

The old thread was started in the year 2013 and had a lot of activity in the beginning but waned over the years to only a few posts in 2015 to zero posts from that point until its last post in 2021.

If there is enough interest we can start the idea up again with perhaps updating the financial aspect to state that the donor should cover the costs of shipping. DUF is not positioned at this time to set up an official monetary fund for any express purposes nor can DUF stand as a broker or mediator for financial transactions. These should be gratis donations only.

Ideally:
Hardware donated should be as presentable and as workable as possible.

Items such as Hard Disk Drives and USB storage devices they should be wiped, cleaned, and tested prior to being sent.

CPUs, Graphic Cards, Memory, and PCI cards should be tested prior to being sent.

Sealed items for the most part should be fine.

Small items like networking cables should be tested prior to sending. :)

Please be explicit if your donation has been modified outside of its original manufacture.

Old old obsolete equipment … does have its place, though we should try to keep things within a reasonable period of usability.

Overall:
Any item listed for donation should be tested by the donor if the donor has the means to test the item, if that is done then the item *must* be listed as "tested". If the item is older and the donor is unable to test older technologies such as RAM sticks, Tape or IDE drives the item *must* be listed as "untested".

If possible try to detail as much information as possible about your donation. Serial numbers are not necessary although a product and/or model number could be very beneficial for someones specific need.

The donor should make the effort to cover reasonable shipping and any associated costs for shipping as the item is being sent is a donation.

If shipping costs become prohibitive one can donate/send/offer local physical pick up within your region only. We do ask that you please state so in your offering.

The Receiver should have an account here that is in good standing with at the minimum a 15 post count and 6 months of activity to ensure the recipient is a member of the actual community.

The Mission:
Send items in the spirit of Free Beer to those who need them or want them.

Edits/Contributions/Clarifications/Suggestions:
  • Items checked working ok and video of same if required but no warranty. If the transport company ran over it with a forklift and it's DOA then it's DOA.
  • Never post your address or personal information in this thread, shipping details should move Private Messages.

Discussion Thread: viewtopic.php?t=153843

Thread: Open! :)
Last edited by donald on 2023-02-03 10:21, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Updated 2023-02-03
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

Re: [Hardware] "Free as in Free Beer" hardware donations, part II.

#2 Post by donald »

2 brand new HDMI cables. 15ft/4.57m length.

I got these from Amazon for a project and these are extras that I have no need for.

HMDI_1.png
HMDI_2.png
Tested and working.

U.S. Shipping preferred, I can do International if the shipping costs are not too prohibitive.

Ideally these are used for something in computing and not an amazing A/V home setup. :twisted: :D[/s]

Shipped.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

#3 Post by donald »

To avoid thread clutter please join us as we work out further guidelines for this discussion: viewtopic.php?t=153843
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#4 Post by donald »

Upgraded the memory in a HP laptop and it was cheaper to get 2 memory sticks rather than 1, so we have an extra. If the original 4GB stick is wanted as well I can send it.

1 Elite DDR4 8GB 3200MHz PC4-25600 CL22 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.2V SODIMM 260-Pin Memory Module
1 Samsung DDR 4GB 3200MHz PC4 DDR4 1.2V SODIMM 260-Pin Memory Module

memory.png
It is a small part, I can do international shipping.[/s]

Sent.
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#5 Post by donald »

Cleaning some junk out of the old office and found some stamps...thought I was rich...no they are still face value. :( :)

Also found some Debian Stickers which I am willing to send out using said postage stamps, so the Universe brings order back in some fashion or another.
sticker1.jpg
I am willing to send these out until the stamps run out, so I would say 20 of them at this time, likely 15 to be honest. They will not fit inside an envelope so I need to manufacture or purchase something to ship in.

They are 10" by 3" inches
sticker2.jpg
1st 20 people get one. I'll send 3-5 per package. Will send the better looking ones and throw in a tattered 1 or 2 as well.

Post ITT if you want one or PM me, do not post personal info ITT.

Willing to do a few international pending the cost, should be inexpensive though.
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#6 Post by donald »

During same cleanup I found some 2019 Arctic MC-4 Thermal Compound:
artic1.jpg
artic2.jpg
A cursory Internet search indicates the compound is still usable.
Typo perfectionish.