Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[SID - Unstable] be careful with upgrades :)

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

[SID - Unstable] be careful with upgrades :)

#1 Post by wizard10000 »

Crossposted from r/Debian because I think it's important to pay attention to what your package manager wants to do. I told y'all I was gonna sound like a broken record on this topic :)

Sid just got a fresh copy of libreoffice but it took three days for all the packages to arrive and if someone wasn't paying attention their copy of libreoffice probably got broken like this user's did. I may have been a little tough on this Reddit user but maybe we saved him just a little pain in the long run.
disclaimer: This came off a bit more harsh than I intended, apologies for that.

Known issue and was resolved sometime between yesterday and today.

But - this one's on you, OP. Your package manager told you it was gonna break libreoffice but that warning went kinda unheeded - I've been watching this libreoffice upgrade for the past three days or so :)

I'd strongly recommend paying attention to what apt is about to do to your machine before you smack the enter key - or use aptitude for routine upgrades as you pretty much have to force aptitude to break your toys. apt warned you and then happily broke your machine when its warning was ignored, aptitude would have stopped you and asked for input before continuing - if you'd ignored aptitude's warning it would have skipped upgrading libreoffice until all the pieces were in place. It also would have offered at least a couple of options :)

Sid is a staging area and unlike Testing, not all components of a metapackage arrive in Sid at the same time. This will become even more obvious in the coming months as Bookworm's freeze progresses. We say this a lot but if an upgrade doesn't look safe, don't upgrade - the issue will generally resolve itself in a day or two :)

cheers -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

milomak

Re: [SID - Unstable] be careful with upgrades :)

#2 Post by milomak »

i actually noticed that libre was held back when i used apt

so i checked if i had perhaps held some packages. nope.

then i went to aptitude. i like aptitude in the sense that it tells you it is going to remove stuff. and when that list is very long or you i see obvious stuff that should not be removed, i then reckon nope not today.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid