Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Hibernate Causes Blank-Screen Freeze - Debian Testing

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
redgreenblue

Hibernate Causes Blank-Screen Freeze - Debian Testing

#1 Post by redgreenblue »

Hello All,

I have a laptop running Debian Testing. Upon hibernation the computer does not shut off and instead the screen turns blank with the backlight still on. At this stage the computer is completely unresponsive to everything except the SysReq key sequences. This condition doesn't even resolve itself with time.

The computer originally ran Debian Stable (Bullseye). Only after upgrading to Debian Testing (Bookworm) using the steps available on https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting#H ... 29_Testing did this issue with hibernation come up.

I am not sure what logs and configuration files would be helpful, so please tell me and I'll post them.

Any help, including pointers to documentation would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

VM

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hibernate Causes Blank-Screen Freeze - Debian Testing

#2 Post by sunrat »

Moved to Testing/Sid subforum.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by Aki »

Hello,
redgreenblue wrote: 2023-01-28 08:41 I have a laptop running Debian Testing. Upon hibernation the computer does not shut off and instead the screen turns blank with the backlight still on. At this stage the computer is completely unresponsive to everything except the SysReq key sequences. This condition doesn't even resolve itself with time.

The computer originally ran Debian Stable (Bullseye). Only after upgrading to Debian Testing (Bookworm)
Since you recently upgraded your installation, I would verify if the upgrade was successful. You can do it with the following commands:

Code: Select all

script log.txt
apt-cache policy
apt update
apt --simulate upgrade
apt --simulate full-upgrade
exit
The output of previous commands will be stored in file named log.txt for analysis.

Then you can check for missing firmware (you didn't eventually install after upgrade) with the following commands as root user:

script firmware.log
journalctl -b0 --no-pager | grep -i firmw
exit
The output of previous commands will be in file named firmware.log for analysis

Then you can replace the "quiet" with "debug" option in the linux line in grub: the kernel will output more debug information in log after the next reboot. After that, when the system locks up during suspension, you can:
1) try to access to the computer using another computer with ssh to access systems logs (the ssh server on target computer must be already installed and configured)
2) commence a controlled shutdown with buffer flushed and disk unmount using the REISUB [1] sequence (to preserve logs to be able to access them later)

Systemd journal (system logs) can be acquired (via SSH or after the next reboot) with the following commands as root user:

# for current boot
journalctl -b0 --no-pager > systemd-current.log
# for previous boot
journalctl -b-1 --no-pager > systemd-previous.log
If there are no clues in system log, you can test interactively the suspend feature of kernel to test where it fails [2]

HTH
---
[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
[2] https://01.org/blogs/rzhang/2015/best-p ... ate-issues
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

redgreenblue

#4 Post by redgreenblue »

Hi @Aki, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply.

I have followed your instructions to prepare the log.txt and firmware.log files. Here they are: And the systemd-current.log and systemd-previous.log files are available for download at https://file.io/v1vb9DILilB9. Sorry for not using the pastebin of this forum, the files are too large.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by Aki »

Hello,
redgreenblue wrote: 2023-01-28 11:15 I have followed your instructions to prepare the log.txt and firmware.log files. Here they are:
The logs acquired in firmware.log are not acquired using the root user; if you don't know how to do it, you can do it with the following command:

su -l -c "cd $PWD; journalctl -b0 --no-pager | grep -i firmw > firmware.log"
redgreenblue wrote: 2023-01-28 11:15 And the systemd-current.log and systemd-previous.log files are available for download at https://file.io/v1vb9DILilB9. Sorry for not using the pastebin of this forum, the files are too large.
The systemd logs are not available for download ("the transfer you requested has been deleted"). Please, acquire them as root user.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

redgreenblue

#6 Post by redgreenblue »

So sorry for the mistakes. I didn't read your instructions properly. Just realised, I could have just attached the files as attachments. Please excuse me, this is my first time using this forum.

The files are attached as individual tar archives. Please inform me whether they are alright or not.
Attachments
systemd-previous.log.tar.bz2
systemd-previous.log
(367.86 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
systemd-current.log.tar.bz2
systemd-current.log
(276.68 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
firmware.log.tar.gz
firmware.log
(2.01 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
log.txt.tar.bz2
log.txt
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#7 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Can you regularly suspend to ram your computer ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

redgreenblue

#8 Post by redgreenblue »

Yes, suspend to RAM works fine. I have not had an issue with it as far as I remember.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#9 Post by Aki »

Hello,

The firmware log file shows:

Jan 28 16:25:08 ideapad-s340 kernel: iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: firmware: failed to load iwl-debug-yoyo.bin (-2)
This should not be a critical error, but it is reported how to fix it here [1]

You are running

DMI: LENOVO 81VV/LNVNB161216, BIOS CUCN18WW(V1.07) 01/02/2020:
with kernel:

Jan 28 16:25:07 ideapad-s340 kernel: Linux version 6.1.0-1-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc-12 (Debian 12.2.0-13) 12.2.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Debian) 2.39.90.20221231) #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.4-1 (2023-01-07)
Jan 28 16:25:07 ideapad-s340 kernel: Command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-6.1.0-1-amd64 root=/dev/mapper/Debian-root ro resume=/dev/mapper/Debian-swap_1 debug
This is an extract of systemd-previous.log about hibernation:

Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 sudo[7175]:    varad : TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/varad/temp/log_files ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/systemctl hibernate
[..]
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd-logind[986]: Sleep mode "disk" is supported by the kernel.
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd-logind[986]: Disk sleep mode "platform" is supported by the kernel.
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd-logind[986]: /dev/dm-1: device matches configured resume settings.
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd-logind[986]: Hibernation will attempt to use swap entry with path: /dev/dm-1, device: 254:1, offset: 0
, priority: -2
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd-logind[986]: Enough swap for hibernation, Active(anon)=5216 kB, size=16781308 kB, used=0 kB, threshold
[..]
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd-logind[986]: The system will hibernate now!
[..]
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: hibernate.target: Trying to enqueue job hibernate.target/start/replace-irreversibly
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: hibernate.target: Installed new job hibernate.target/start as 3219
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: systemd-hibernate.service: Installed new job systemd-hibernate.service/start as 3220
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: sleep.target: Installed new job sleep.target/start as 3221
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: hibernate.target: Enqueued job hibernate.target/start as 3219
[..]
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: systemd-hibernate.service: Passing 0 fds to service
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: systemd-hibernate.service: About to execute /lib/systemd/systemd-sleep hibernate
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: systemd-hibernate.service: Forked /lib/systemd/systemd-sleep as 7200
[..]
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: systemd-hibernate.service: Changed dead -> start
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[1]: Starting Hibernate...
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd[7200]: systemd-hibernate.service: Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sleep hibernate
[..]
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 systemd-sleep[7200]: Entering sleep state 'hibernate'...
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 kernel: PM: hibernation: hibernation entry
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 kernel: (NULL device *): firmware: direct-loading firmware i915/icl_dmc_ver1_09.bin
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 kernel: (NULL device *): firmware: direct-loading firmware regulatory.db
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 kernel: (NULL device *): firmware: direct-loading firmware regulatory.db.p7s
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 kernel: (NULL device *): firmware: direct-loading firmware iwlwifi-Qu-c0-jf-b0-72.ucode
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 wpa_supplicant[1009]: wlp0s20f3: CTRL-EVENT-DSCP-POLICY clear_all
Jan 28 19:21:20 ideapad-s340 wpa_supplicant[1009]: nl80211: deinit ifname=wlp0s20f3 disabled_11b_rates=0
I cannot detect obvious kernel errors, except that the hibernation sequence is incomplete because CPU halt is not shown and, therefore, I does not happen (as you reported). As you can see, the last message if about wpa_supplicant service. The OS cannot make it up to user's process freeze. It can suspected that some device is not responding during hibernation with the newer kernel.

As an empirical test, you could turn off the wireless card before starting hibernation and verify if hibernation works.

If it does not work, you have to deepen the debug, trying to detect what is the offending device: you can start from [2].

HTH
---
[1] viewtopic.php?t=149817
[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/power/basic-pm-debugging.html
[3] https://01.org/blogs/rzhang/2015/best-practice-debug-linux-suspend/hibernate-issues
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

redgreenblue

#10 Post by redgreenblue »

Hello @Aki,

Thanks for going through the logs. I have not yet fixed

Jan 28 16:25:08 ideapad-s340 kernel: iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: firmware: failed to load iwl-debug-yoyo.bin (-2)
in case this has anything to do with the issue at hand. Although as you've said, it doesn't appear to be a critical problem.

I disabled wifi with the NetworkManager Applet (Xfce is currently installed), and tried to hibernate. The hibernation was not successful, despite leaving the computer for more than 20 minutes.

After the unsuccessful hibernate, I ran the commands you gave me earlier

# for current boot
journalctl -b0 --no-pager > systemd-current.log
# for previous boot
journalctl -b-1 --no-pager > systemd-previous.log

and produced systemd-current.log and systemd-previous.log. Please find them attached.

If these new log files don't reveal anything, I will deepen the debug with the steps in the kernel.org article you kindly provided.
Attachments
systemd-previous.log.gz
Produced after unsuccessful wifi-disabled hibernation attempt.
(286.45 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
systemd-current.log.gz
Produced after unsuccessful wifi-disabled hibernation attempt.
(279.5 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

redgreenblue

#11 Post by redgreenblue »

I tried [1], and here are the results:
  1. "reboot" mode - computer screen momentarily blanks and turns back on. Computer freezes and has to be restarted with Alt+PrtSc+REISUB.
  2. "platform" mode - same as above; computer has to be rebooted.
  3. "shutdown" mode - this works! The computer hibernates and wakes up successfully. Tried it twice already and it worked perfectly both times.
After each trial, I ran these commands:

sudo journalctl -b0 --no-pager > [MODE]-systemd-current.log
sudo journalctl -b-1 --no-pager > [MODE]-systemd-previous.log
The resulting log files are attached, in case you find them of help in pinpointing the root cause of the problem. Please advise on anything else I can do.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... isk-or-std
Attachments
shutdown_mode-systemd-previous.log.gz
Generated after "shutdown" mode commands caused computer to hibernate and wake up successfully. Logs of previous boot.
(274.69 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
shutdown_mode-systemd-current.log.gz
Generated after "shutdown" mode commands caused computer to hibernate and wake up successfully. Logs of current boot.
(296.42 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
platform_mode-systemd-previous.log.gz
Computer had to be rebooted with REISUB after "platform" mode failed to hibernate - logs of previous boot.
(274.69 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
platform_mode-systemd-current.log.gz
Computer had to be rebooted with REISUB after "platform" mode failed to hibernate - logs of current boot.
(279.77 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
reboot_mode-systemd-previous.log.gz
Computer had to be rebooted with REISUB after "reboot" mode failed to hibernate - logs of previous boot.
(275.77 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
reboot_mode-systemd-current.log.gz
Computer had to be rebooted with REISUB after "reboot" mode failed to hibernate - logs of current boot.
(273.55 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by Aki »

Hello,
redgreenblue wrote: 2023-01-30 16:07 I tried [1], and here are the results:
  1. "reboot" mode - computer screen momentarily blanks and turns back on. Computer freezes and has to be restarted with Alt+PrtSc+REISUB.
  2. "platform" mode - same as above; computer has to be rebooted.
  3. "shutdown" mode - this works! The computer hibernates and wakes up successfully. Tried it twice already and it worked perfectly both times.
[..]
[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/ ... isk-or-std
If "shutdown" mode works, you can modify the file named /etc/systemd/sleep.conf configuring the option:

HibernateMode=shutdown
that instructs systemd about the preferred hibernation method. Then, update the initramfs with the following command as root user:

update-initramfs -u
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

redgreenblue

#13 Post by redgreenblue »

Hibernation now works as usual after editing the configuration file and updating initramfs.

I am curious to know why hibernation is only working in "shutdown" mode. Will proceeding in the debug to find the root cause be a waste of time?

Regardless, the problem is fixed and I must thank you for it. You were methodical and eliminated the potential causes of the problem. Thanks for pointing out the wifi firmware issue as well, it's fixed now.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#14 Post by Aki »

Hello,
redgreenblue wrote: 2023-01-31 04:34 Hibernation now works as usual after editing the configuration file and updating initramfs.
Good news :-)
redgreenblue wrote: 2023-01-31 04:34 I am curious to know why hibernation is only working in "shutdown" mode. Will proceeding in the debug to find the root cause be a waste of time?
I hope I don't upset anyone's sensibilities if I don't use entirely technically correct terms. The term "platform" in this context refers to software (firmware) embedded by the hardware vendor in computer's devices and motherboard according to ACPI specifications. The ACPI software component of the operating system (Linux kernel) interacts with its corresponding "platform" software components for each device during power management (hibernation, for example). Therefore, debugging "platform mode" hibernation implies to deepen these interactions at kernel level, with the complication that the system is in a state that is difficult to explore. Gaining knowledge is never a waste of time, but it will require a lot of effort by you with no result guaranteed. Let me know if you want go down the rabbit hole.
redgreenblue wrote: 2023-01-31 04:34 Regardless, the problem is fixed and I must thank you for it. You were methodical and eliminated the potential causes of the problem. Thanks for pointing out the wifi firmware issue as well, it's fixed now.
I'm glad I helped you to sort it out. It would be nice to mark the thread as solved. You can do it putting the tag [SOLVED] before the title of the first post of the thread. It would also be useful (for other users with the same issue) to report your computer model in the title of the first message.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⠈⠳⣄⠀

redgreenblue

#15 Post by redgreenblue »

I hope I don't upset anyone's sensibilities if I don't use entirely technically correct terms. The term "platform" in this context refers to software (firmware) embedded by the hardware vendor in computer's devices and motherboard according to ACPI specifications. The ACPI software component of the operating system (Linux kernel) interacts with its corresponding "platform" software components for each device during power management (hibernation, for example). Therefore, debugging "platform mode" hibernation implies to deepen these interactions at kernel level, with the complication that the system is in a state that is difficult to explore. Gaining knowledge is never a waste of time, but it will require a lot of effort by you with no result guaranteed. Let me know if you want go down the rabbit hole.
I see. I think it would be best to leave it. Once Bookworm turns stable, these minor problems will likely go away. Thanks anyway for offering to help me further.

I have edited the title to reflect that this problem is solved, and added the computer model information as well. Goodbye!