Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian install freeze

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Debian install freeze

#21 Post by p.H »

The partman-cros package maintainer found and fixed some bugs which could create an infinite loop with NVMe drives. The updated package should be included in new testing installer builds.
@ratatoskr Can you also confirm if the installer was stuck on /lib/partman/check.d/07cros ?
@sundry Was your installation attempt also on an NVMe SSD ?

ratatoskr

#22 Post by ratatoskr »

p.H wrote: 2023-02-04 14:39 The partman-cros package maintainer found and fixed some bugs which could create an infinite loop with NVMe drives. The updated package should be included in new testing installer builds.
Thank you very much! Now I have my Debian with full disk encryption. The reason I am using testing is that Bullseye doesn't even boot. My laptop partly worked with Ubuntu 22.10 with 5.19 kernel, except for keyboard, the same issue with Fedora stable. The issue was fixed with kernel 6.1, so I used Rawhide and waited for this in (my favourite) Debian. Looking forward to Bookworm stable.
Aki wrote: 2023-02-02 17:36 @ratatoskr @sundry
Just for the record: what is the configuration of your computer: CPU, RAM and disk space availability ?
https://linux-hardware.org/?probe=1c798340db my HW, whole for Debian.

sundry

#23 Post by sundry »

p.H wrote: 2023-02-04 14:39 @sundry Was your installation attempt also on an NVMe SSD ?
Yes it is an NVMe SSD.

I managed to get Testing installed (on encrypted LVM) via a minimal Stable and then upgrade. And 'tasksel' worked great installing GNOME desktop environment.

I've seen a few tutorials on installing Testing by upgrading from a minimal Stable and none of them mention 'tasksel'! They all use their own clunky git/script method to pull down the desktop environment.
Tasksel was so easy.

Thanks again for everyone's help

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#24 Post by p.H »

Don't get me started on what I think about tutorials in general...

Notes:
- You can also install a desktop environment easily without running tasksel, by installing a "task package" such as task-gnome-desktop for GNOME.
- A minimal installation + tasksel or task package may not produce the exact same result as a full installation because the installer performs some actions when specific packages are installed. For example, if NetworkManager was installed during the initial installation (as a dependency of some desktop environments), the installer configures it to manage the ethernet interface and removes the interface configuration from /etc/network/interfaces. That won't happen if you install it later and you will have to edit /etc/network/interfaces if you want the intherface to be managed by NetworkManager.

sundry

#25 Post by sundry »

Ha, I'm just after running into that NetworkManager issue!
Thanks for the explanation. (I guess that explains the custom scripts instead of tasksel?)

There isn't a list of half-installed/half-configured packages anywhere? Or do I just have to wait till I trip up over each one to find them?

sundry

#26 Post by sundry »

I think I'll have to re-install Debian again this time using the fixed weekly installer.
Despite having enabled Network Manger something is interfering with my wired connections.
Every time it wakes from sleep there is a new 'phantom' profile that is connected.
When I stop that connection it disappears.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#27 Post by sunrat »

sundry wrote: 2023-02-08 23:56There isn't a list of half-installed/half-configured packages anywhere? Or do I just have to wait till I trip up over each one to find them?
dpkg -l lists all fully or partly installed packages, with "ii" marking fully installed. So you want all the entries not including "ii" like so:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l |grep -v ii
For explanation of all the status codes see - https://linuxprograms.wordpress.com/201 ... dpkg-list/
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#28 Post by p.H »

It has nothing to do with half-installed or half-configured packages, it is only extra configuration done by the installer. Regarding NetworkManager, nothing that requires a full reinstallation, just make sure to remove the interface from /etc/network/interfaces{,.d/*} and configure it as needed with NetworkManager applet or command line (default is DHCP/automatic). I don't know anything about those "phantom profiles".

sundry

#29 Post by sundry »

@sunrat Sorry, I'm probably using the wrong terminology when I say half-installed/half-configured packages. What I meant by that was packages that may need further configuration that the Debain installer would have done and that tasksel didn't do (and that I'm not aware of!)

p.H wrote: 2023-02-10 10:36 Regarding NetworkManager, nothing that requires a full reinstallation, just make sure to remove the interface from /etc/network/interfaces{,.d/*}

Yes! That seems to have fixed it. Thank you... again.

I've left the loopback lines in /etc/network/interfaces.

Code: Select all

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
I'm not quite sure what I should have done with those.
The wording in '/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces' is a bit vague:
"The loopback interface isn't really required any longer but can be used if needed"

Do I need them?

I've one other issue (sorry), a couple of packages that don't seem to get updated.

'passwd' and 'libsemanage-common'

I do an 'apt update' and 'apt upgrade' (and reboot) but they remain upgradeable. (apt list --upgradeable)
Any ideas?

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#30 Post by p.H »

sundry wrote: 2023-02-10 15:58 "The loopback interface isn't really required any longer but can be used if needed"
Do I need them?
You definitely need the loopback interface. I guess the text does not refer to the interface itself but to its configuration in /etc/network/interfaces, and means that it is optional because systemd already configures the loopback interface.

Regarding the package update, it may be a temporary situation until required dependencies are available. Keep in mind this is testing, not stable.
Did you try full-upgrade or dist-upgrade ?

sundry

#31 Post by sundry »

p.H wrote: 2023-02-10 18:41 You definitely need the loopback interface. I guess the text does not refer to the interface itself but to its configuration in /etc/network/interfaces, and means that it is optional because systemd already configures the loopback interface.
I'll leave it in /etc/network/interfaces then.
p.H wrote: 2023-02-10 18:41 Did you try full-upgrade or dist-upgrade ?
I didn't because I thought the wiki warns against using full-upgrade as it might remove packages that you need.

But I just looked at it again and it actually says "If you notice that some packages are not upgraded you should also try apt full-upgrade..." and then warns about packages being removed.[1]

I guess I need to try full-upgrade. Thanks.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianTesting

p.H
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#32 Post by p.H »

Anyway if you don't like what it suggests you can cancel the operation.

sundry

#33 Post by sundry »

Thank you. That seems to have done the job nicely.
I appreciate your help. You saved me re-installing it for the I-don't-know-how-many time, and nuking what progress I had made.