Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

KDE desktop configuration fails after update - bookworm

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
geotechtribe

KDE desktop configuration fails after update - bookworm

#1 Post by geotechtribe »

I am using bookworm (testing) and I just ran an update (this morning is Feb 1st). After the update, the desktop wallpaper, which is configured as a KDE slideshow of pictures from a folder on my computer, no longer works. I cannot use any pictures for my desktop. I also tried to select a single picture desktop from a folder on my computer, and that didn't work.

I can select the picture of a day configuration and it will grab a picture from the internet, like the astronomy picture of the day, and it will use that. But a picture from anywhere on my pc won't display.

So I tried to open a picture from my folder from my file manager. When I clicked on a picture from my folder, it opened it up in gwenview, but when I closed gwenview, KDE crashed. I think it said that kde5 shut down.

Here is my graphics information:

Code: Select all

$ sudo lspci | grep VGA
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 23 [Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M] (rev c7)
This card has been working with my kernel, even with the regular kernel updates, in bookworm since last September. This is the first time that I have had a problem.
My current kernel is:

$ uname -r
6.1.0-2-amd64
What other information would be helpful to solve this problem?

roseway

Re: KDE desktop configuration fails after update - bookworm

#2 Post by roseway »

This update is part of the libkscreen transition, and there are several kde/plasma packages still on hold, which will complete the transition when they're dealt with. I don't believe there's anything you can do at this stage other than wait for the completion of the transition. The crashing of kded is a separate issue unrelated to libkscreen. Have a look at the bug reports for kded5 for more information.

When kded crashes you can restart it with the command

$ systemctl --user restart plasma-kded.service
Eric

geotechtribe

#3 Post by geotechtribe »

Ok, thank you. How long is the libkscreen transition supposed to take? I am wondering if I need to do something like temporarily transition to using gnome, if this will be a few weeks, or if it will just be a day or 2 then I will wait it out.

Also, where can I send my hardware data to the team working on the transition? I am not familiar with how this works.

roseway

#4 Post by roseway »

I'm sure it won't be weeks, or even many days. Today's upgrade included half or more of the packages involved in the transition.

This issue affects every bookworm installation using kde/plasma, so I don't think one more user's hardware details is likely to be helpful.
Eric

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by Fossy »

geotechtribe wrote: 2023-02-01 12:33 I am using bookworm (testing) ........
What other information would be helpful to solve this problem?
ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE :
viewforum.php?f=40
thank you
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

geotechtribe

#6 Post by geotechtribe »

Thank you... I have bookmarked that forum now :)

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

Moved to Testing/Sid subforum.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!