Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

sources.list - - release name or edition ref?

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
bwg368

sources.list - - release name or edition ref?

#1 Post by bwg368 »

I have finally started to use 100% Debian. I have always stuck with dists based on Debian. I think I prefer the stable edition because I am tired of blowing things up just because I ran a program that maybe didn't fit. I always assumed that it would not be in the repository if it shouldn't be run. But that didn't turn out to be necessarily true.
My idea is to keep the sources.list pointing to the stable repository, and if I need (or think I need) a newer version, I can just see if it available in backports. I don't want to just automatically update my cache with the newer ver, so I thought I would look in the backports and specifically download the specific pgm I need.
My question is:
Should the sources.list point to 'bullseye' or 'stable' and so on.
Or does it even matter?

Thanks in advance for the help/

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: sources.list - - release name or edition ref?

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Avoid using stable in your sources.list as that results in nasty surprises and broken systems when the next release is made; upgrading to a new release should be a deliberate, careful action and editing a file once every two years is not a burden.
https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList#Distribution

bwg368

#3 Post by bwg368 »

Thanks again for the assistance, and the link. btw that's another reason why I think Debian is a good idea. There is plenty of documentation. I'm trying to a handle on finding it all.
'

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

No problem. Welcome to the forum.