Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

debian 11 stable/debian 11 sid ppc64el installation

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
azazel

debian 11 stable/debian 11 sid ppc64el installation

#1 Post by azazel »

Hi guys,
i installed suyccesfully debian 8 and debian 11 sid ppc on G4 macs, now i'm trying to get the os on a powermac g5, the ppc65el flavor, bu i encountered many issues

1) first of all i downloaded the netinst 11.6.0 image for ppc64el, burned on cd and tried booting but by pressing alt the burned cd does not show, tried burning it differrent times from pc and from the g5 itself, tryng boot from OF i get a "warning sector size mismatch" the command i used follows:

Code: Select all

>boot cd:,\\grub.elf
2) tryng install sid created a HFS partition to mount in /boot/grub (sdb4) and an ext2 partition to mount as root (sdb6), the installation goes fine till the boot loader installation wich fails, going deeper from the terminal seem the error reported by grub during install is that sdb4 (the boot HFS partition) is "not a PReP partion"

will be grateful to any of you who can help, let me also know if i'm posting in the wrong place, i'm a newbie here

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: debian 11 stable/debian 11 sid ppc64el installation

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
Can you share the disk partitioning scheme you are using after installation attempt ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

azazel

#4 Post by azazel »

Aki wrote: 2023-02-05 10:31 Hello,
Can you share the disk partitioning scheme you are using after installation attempt ?
hi, i switched sata channels of the 2 ssd so now the installation disk is no more sdb but sda, after the failed installation attempt the partition scheme follows

sda
	sda1	32,3kb		Apple
	sda2  134.2Mb		hfs+		boot flag
	sda3	 128Gb		hfsx		

sda4	 256Mb		hfs		boot flag			/boot/grub
	sda5	 116.6Gb	ext4						/
	sda6  11Gb		swap
root is now sda5 and boot is sda4, swap is sda6, the first 3 partitions are from osx leopard installation

mind that i'm using the sid installer in the last ppc64 shanpshot since i got that ppc64el stable installer does not work on macs
Last edited by azazel on 2023-02-05 15:04, edited 2 times in total.

azazel

#5 Post by azazel »

already posted here

https://forum.debianizzati.org/
in this one sadly i was not able to register

http://www.debianitalia.org/
posted on macrumors also wich has a noticeable section discussion debian sid on ppc macs

ty btw

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

Please continue this discussion on the newer thread at viewtopic.php?t=153938 as it is about Sid.
Multiple threads about the same topic are confusing.
Topic locked.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!