Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Hardware] Black screen after switching from Intel to Nvidia GPU

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
someone1

[Hardware] Black screen after switching from Intel to Nvidia GPU

#1 Post by someone1 »

Hi everybody. First post here and first day as Debian OS user.
2hrs ago I was using Intel integrated GPU. I tried to set laptop to use NVIDIA GPU (GeForce 635M). I am using KDE Plasma.
I succeed in switching to NVIDIA GPU but now after every booting I am getting black screen AFTER log in. When I am at login screen, everybody is as it should be. Everything works. After I log in I get black screen. I installed NVIDIA drivers for my NVIDIA GPU. What I am doing in order from KDE to show Desktop, widgets, panels etc. is:

Code: Select all

killall plasmashell
and after that:

Code: Select all

kstart5 plasmashell
After this everything works fine. I don't want to do those 2 commands. Does anybody know solution for this problem?

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Hardware] Black screen after switching from Intel to Nvidia GPU

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
I'm not experienced in hybrid graphic hardware (integrated+discrete GPU). Since you can manually start KDE, it could be something related to the KDE's configuration or components. You could test it installing a different and simpler DE, for example xfce4. A video recording of the issue could be useful. What's your Debian version ?
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀