Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] Pipx

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

[Discussion] Pipx

#1 Post by None1975 »

Pipx..What a wonderful and necessary program! This program is found in debian 11 backports (also in Debian Bookworm and Debian Sid). This program allows you to run the latest version of a CLI application from a package in a temporary virtual environment, leaving your system untouched after it finishes. It install packages to isolated virtual environments, while globally exposing their CLI applications so you can run them from anywhere.It easily list, upgrade, and uninstall packages that were installed with pipx. In short, pipx is a tool to help you install and run end-user applications written in Python. It's roughly similar to macOS's brew, JavaScript's npx, and Linux's apt. It's closely related to pip. In fact, it uses pip, but is focused on installing and managing Python packages that can be run from the command line directly as applications. pipx is a tool to install and run any of these thousands of application-containing packages in a safe, convenient, and reliable way. In a way, it turns Python Package Index (PyPI) into a big app store for Python applications. More info here

Tool in action:

Last edited by None1975 on 2023-03-17 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Discussion] Pipix

#2 Post by canci »

So, like Flatpak, but for Python. Interesting.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by None1975 »

canci wrote: 2023-03-15 15:24 So, like Flatpak, but for Python. Interesting.
Really so. This program is definitely worth checking out.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by sunrat »

Sounds wonderful but necessary? Not so much. I think I have a whole two tiny utility programs from PiPi.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

sunrat wrote: 2023-03-15 23:03 Sounds wonderful but necessary? Not so much. I think I have a whole two tiny utility programs from PiPi.
This app has one good and useful feature. It downloads and runs Python "apps" in a one-time, temporary environment, leaving your system untouched afterwards. This can be handy when you need to run the latest version of an app, but don't necessarily want it installed on your computer. For example i can run latest bpytop with simple command

Code: Select all

pipx run --spec bpytop bpytop
A nice side benefit is that you don't have to remember to upgrade the app since pipx run will automatically run a recent version for you.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by canci »

BTW... Somewhat related:
Next Debian/Ubuntu Releases Will Likely No Longer Allow pip install Ouside A Virtual Environment
The next Debian/Ubuntu releases will likely no longer allow pip install outside a virtual environment or separate Python installs because of conflicts between pip and the OS package manager. It can still be forced, but that's strongly not recommended.
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2023/03/n ... ikely.html
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by sunrat »

canci wrote: 2023-03-16 22:57 BTW... Somewhat related:
Next Debian/Ubuntu Releases Will Likely No Longer Allow pip install Ouside A Virtual Environment
The next Debian/Ubuntu releases will likely no longer allow pip install outside a virtual environment or separate Python installs because of conflicts between pip and the OS package manager. It can still be forced, but that's strongly not recommended.
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2023/03/n ... ikely.html
That makes sense and makes pipx useful for Bookworm and later.The only application I use regularly from pip install is yt-dlp which breaks every few weeks and is usually fixed within a day or so. No way Stable will get the update in a timely manner, and pip is easier than going to Github and getting the latest each time.

Side note:- shame the journalist didn't proof read the title of that article - "Ouside". :roll: :lol:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

CynicalDebian

#8 Post by CynicalDebian »

Code: Select all

The only application I use regularly from pip install is yt-dlp which breaks every few weeks and is usually fixed within a day or so. No way Stable will get the update in a timely manner, and pip is easier than going to Github and getting the latest each time.
I have been using yt-dlp from bullseye backports for awhile, not that much breakage and when it did break only took 10 days to migrate to testing and further backports. If necessary you could just backport it from unstable easily... but I can see why you might prefer pip to that.
Be seeing you...

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

CynicalDebian wrote: 2023-03-17 03:53I have been using yt-dlp from bullseye backports for awhile, not that much breakage and when it did break only took 10 days to migrate to testing and further backports. If necessary you could just backport it from unstable easily... but I can see why you might prefer pip to that.
10 days? when I want to download something from Youtoob, I want it NOW! :mrgreen:

@None1975 It would be great if you could correct the spelling in the title. It's pipx not pipix.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by canci »

I let the static yt-dlp script from github self-update.

READ THIS:

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by sunrat »

canci wrote: 2023-03-17 07:51 I let the static yt-dlp script from github self-update.
Do you mean you run yt-dlp -U ?
Pretty sure I did that too but don't recall why I changed to pip. :|
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#12 Post by canci »

Exactly. Well, if it works with pip...

READ THIS:

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#13 Post by None1975 »

sunrat wrote: 2023-03-17 04:07 @None1975 It would be great if you could correct the spelling in the title. It's pipx not pipix.
Thanks for spotting the mistake. I already fixed it.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Discussion] Pipx

#14 Post by canci »

pipix would roll off the tongue much better :D

READ THIS: