Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

HP TouchSmart IQ500 Series

Need help with peripherals or devices?
johnbtz

HP TouchSmart IQ500 Series

#1 Post by johnbtz »

I have a friend who is an older man that has never gotten himself online. I'm trying to get him set up with a desktop.

I have an older HP TouchSmart IQ500 Series (IQ505) computer that tries to boot into Windows Vista but I don't have the password.

I think this is a touch screen and is supposed to have wireless keyboard/mouse, but it currently has a corded keyboard and mouse.

Core2 duo cpu.

Would it be practical to attempt a Linux install on this machine?

I don't care if the touch screen works or not.

Here is a description that I found online:

"The TouchSmart IQ500 is a touchscreen, all-in-one desktop computer with a wireless keyboard and mouse.
The TouchSmart IQ500 includes 4 GB of RAM and a 32-bit operating system. It features a 22-inch touch-sensitive display that uses a set of LEDs around the screen to detect the movement of a user’s fingers."

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HP TouchSmart IQ500 Series

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
johnbtz wrote: 2023-03-19 02:41 Would it be practical to attempt a Linux install on this machine?

I don't care if the touch screen works or not.

Here is a description that I found online:

"The TouchSmart IQ500 is a touchscreen, all-in-one desktop computer with a wireless keyboard and mouse.
The TouchSmart IQ500 includes 4 GB of RAM and a 32-bit operating system. It features a 22-inch touch-sensitive display that uses a set of LEDs around the screen to detect the movement of a user’s fingers."
The hardware is a little bit outdated for today's standards, but you can install Debian on it.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Looks like the computer is 64bit despite the OS installed.

http://www.barebonekit.net/hp-touchsmar ... t5850.aspx

Create a live USB and try it out.

Touchscreen would require the NextWindow kernel module. No idea if it would work with Debian now as it dates from a decade ago.

https://linux-hardware.org/index.php?id=usb:1926-0083

https://github.com/dmonad/nwfermi

johnbtz

#4 Post by johnbtz »

I didn't want to come back and ask stupid questions, but here I go.

I ordered a Debian 11.6.0 / AMD64 CD from LinuxCollections.com.

I cannot get this computer to boot from the CD drive.

When I hit escape on the BIOS screen, it gives me the option of choosing the boot device and hit enter.

I've done this over and over, and it boots on the hard drive.

I've been into BIOS with no success.

The CD drive seems to be working, but I can't get into windows to look at it. (no password)

The Cd drive stands up on edge on the side of the machine. I assume the label side of the CD goes towards the user, but I've tried it both ways.

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#5 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

CD drives often fail on older computers. They spin, but won't boot an installation CD.

Booting from USB is more reliable.

You can download the Debian live ISO image for free and create a bootable USB, if you have access to another PC. The method depends on whether it's Linux, Windows or Mac.