Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Off-Topic] Sound Card Question [SOLVED]

Off-Topic discussions about science, technology, and non Debian specific topics.
NarriT4010

[Off-Topic] Sound Card Question [SOLVED]

#1 Post by NarriT4010 »

Hi,
I was wondering how I could stream the desktop audio in high quality and to be able to have control to muting applications for the input but not the output, my headphones, the sound I can hear. It's just about the desktop audio not an actual microphone. I'd just like to have that sound be streamed in normal quality or high quality. Is there a sound card for Linux that can do this ? It's the sound card that I don't have that can do this or no ?
Last edited by NarriT4010 on 2023-03-29 13:27, edited 1 time in total.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Off-Topic] Sound Card Question

#2 Post by canci »

Would help and incentivise others to respond if you posted at least the name of your soundcard and whether you've tried regulating sound on the software level, e.g. with Pipewire, PulseAudio or Jack.
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

NarriT4010

#3 Post by NarriT4010 »

I've tried pulseeffects to make some sounds louder but that messed up something. I have installed jackd2 now. My mainboard is kinda old and not the best. The audio is always bad when streaming on Youtube or with virtual cam. I wanna try to have a selectable microphone that's my desktop audio in high quality with some controll. I'll try jackd2 now.

NarriT4010

#4 Post by NarriT4010 »

... It's not working at all rn

Code: Select all

3:52:18.026 Statistics reset.
13:52:18.031 ALSA connection change.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
13:52:18.064 ALSA connection graph change.
13:52:27.089 JACK is starting...
13:52:27.090 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0
13:52:27.092 JACK was started with PID=42062.
Cannot create RT messagebuffer thread: Operation not permitted (1)
Retrying messagebuffer thread without RT scheduling
Messagebuffer not realtime; consider enabling RT scheduling for user
no message buffer overruns
jackdmp 1.9.21
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
Copyright 2004-2016 Grame.
Copyright 2016-2022 Filipe Coelho.
jackdmp comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
self-connect-mode is "Don't restrict self connect requests"
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio0
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ATTENTION: The playback device "hw:0" is already in use. Please stop the application using it and run JACK again
Released audio card Audio0
audio_reservation_finish
Cannot initialize driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
Failed to open server
13:52:27.444 JACK was stopped
13:52:29.280 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.

NarriT4010

#5 Post by NarriT4010 »

pacmd set-card-profile alsa_card.pci-0000_03_00.1 output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo
No such profile: output:analog-stereo+input:analog-stereo

NarriT4010

#6 Post by NarriT4010 »

That's because I don't have a card right ? Can I do that for what I'm actually using ?

NarriT4010

#7 Post by NarriT4010 »

Don't have input at all rn so idk maybe I can fix it I'll try

NarriT4010

#8 Post by NarriT4010 »

pacmd list-cards does not list my card I get sound from (HDA Intel PCH) so don't know what to do

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by sunrat »

JACK requires exclusive access to sound card. You have something else using it.
I'm not sure JACK is what you want; it can get quite involved to set it up correctly.
I'm also not sure what you are trying to do. Streaming usually means sending or receiving audio on the internet. For that you should try obs-studio
Or are you having playback problems? Maybe you can use Pulseaudio Volume Control, package name is pavucontrol.
Show output of

aplay -l
and

lspci |grep -i audio
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

NarriT4010

#10 Post by NarriT4010 »

I'll try to find what's keeping the input from working for now. Yes the streaming works it's just very bad quality

NarriT4010

#11 Post by NarriT4010 »

It worked I mean until pulseeffects was installed and obs reinstalled and updates, fixing dpkg but I won't figure out what went wrong there

NarriT4010

#12 Post by NarriT4010 »

Will a soundcard make it easier for my processor or more demanding ? I have a I7 that was decent when it was released.

NarriT4010

#13 Post by NarriT4010 »

Would it be possible, with a fast PC, to record and decode my desktop audio in real time to have a file which can be streamed with FFmpeg (while being recorded), with a very small delay, which then can be used by discord as my microphone ? To have better quality audio. The default my system uses which is called "Monitor of Built-in Audio Analog Stereo", by pulseaudio sounds very very bad in the test recordings (from the mictest website)

NarriT4010

#14 Post by NarriT4010 »

sunrat wrote: 2023-03-19 13:39 JACK requires exclusive access to sound card. You have something else using it.
I'm not sure JACK is what you want; it can get quite involved to set it up correctly.
I'm also not sure what you are trying to do. Streaming usually means sending or receiving audio on the internet. For that you should try obs-studio
Or are you having playback problems? Maybe you can use Pulseaudio Volume Control, package name is pavucontrol.
Show output of

aplay -l
and

lspci |grep -i audio
I have backed up and then installed the alpha version of the next Debian and pavucontrol is working

NarriT4010

#15 Post by NarriT4010 »

So what I did for now is to change the profile for my "built in audio" to output instead of duplex (I don't know what that does), unlocked the channels, played a bit with the levels and it seems to sound a bit better now. Selected a different profile for the sound my rx560 could provide?. That sound that way can be recorded and then played back after changing play back devices. I can't listen to the sound while recording that way but can listen back afterward and seems to sound different too.

NarriT4010

Re: [Off-Topic] Sound Card Question [SOLVED]

#16 Post by NarriT4010 »

Okay so I have tested what I can use and from the three options that are available on my pc the very best is to use the graphics card to send audio as the microphone. Ive listened to the recordings on mictest and it's very obviously the only choice that does not sound bad. It was very bad before this. The graphics card will output the best sound without any hick ups. pavucontrol pretty much does everything I need just need to use more browser windows, which you can select, mute, adjust individually for every output or playback. Very happy this works great.