Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Bookworm] [SOLVED] Synaptic no longer works

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
ticojohn

[Testing - Bookworm] [SOLVED] Synaptic no longer works

#1 Post by ticojohn »

YIKES! I have no idea what happened but all of a sudden the Synaptic Package Manager no longer shows up in the xfce menu, and I can not launch it from a terminal. I get a message that I might be using Wayland, but I am using X11. What the heck might have happened and how can I fix it. Here is the message from the terminal

Code: Select all

root@debianA:~# synaptic
Failed to initialize GTK.

Probably you're running Synaptic on Wayland with root permission.
Please restart your session without Wayland, or run Synaptic without root permission
root@debianA:~# 
Also, whatever happened has affected other things, like my fonts appear to have changed. :cry:

EDIT: Okay my bad. I can launch from the cli by doing it properly, synaptic-pkexec. But it is not showing in the xfce menu. If I go into the xfce menu editor I can launch it by clicking on the item. Strange.
Last edited by ticojohn on 2023-03-20 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

ticojohn

Re: [Testing - Bookworm] Synaptic no longer works

#2 Post by ticojohn »

I am an idiot! Somehow the Synaptic Package Manager menu was set to hide from the menu. Sorry folks. Still don't know what happened with the fonts, but that will be a different post. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.