Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How to add wallpapers during booting process?

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
pwzhangzz

How to add wallpapers during booting process?

#1 Post by pwzhangzz »

Debian 12 now comes with a very nice emerald grub boot theme, and I can use lightdm to add a similar emerald login theme for the login screen. However, the computer screen will turn into total darkness between grub and login.

How do I add a background wallpaper in between the grub and login sessions to avoid the screen blackout?

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: How to add wallpapers during booting process?

#2 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Unfortunately it's not that easy.

viewtopic.php?p=734466#p734466

pwzhangzz

#3 Post by pwzhangzz »

Debian 12 has a very beautiful emerald theme (thanks again to Juliette Taka!), with an elegantly designed dynamically pulsating glow around the debian 12 logo and banner. Very beautiful. Very professionally done! Just wish this theme can be made to endure throughout the entire booting process. Instead of the scary intermittent blank screens we currently have to suffer. First time Linux users may think something has gone wrong (& be driven away). Sometimes even I had to hold my breath if the blank screen lasted a little bit too long.

Diesel330

#4 Post by Diesel330 »

Black screen doesn't always mean crash, you use Debian now, you have to trust Debian, work with yourself, get over it

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by sunrat »

Moved to Testing/Unstable
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

pwzhangzz

#6 Post by pwzhangzz »

This issue is of course not limited to Sid/Bookworm. But because the emerald theme is so nice, this little defect (compared to the smooth booting of Windows and Apple) got amplified and became an annoyance (at least to me). Kinda ironic.

BTW Now that I have switched back from lightdm to gdm3, the black-hole like gap is not nearly as noticeable.