Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Replacing xarchiver with LXQt-archiver in the LXQt desktop?

Graphical Environments, Managers, Multimedia & Desktop questions.
Chaussettes

[Software] Replacing xarchiver with LXQt-archiver in the LXQt desktop?

#1 Post by Chaussettes »

Hello. I've recently installed the Debian LXQt desktop flavor and it works great, but I've been tearing out some of the gtk applications and replacing them with Qt equivelants. Xarchiver seems to be the one that is giving me trouble at replacing because for whatever reason the LXQt desktop forces itself to have some kind of graphical archive manager. If you decide to uninstall xarchiver, it will automatically install ark. Ark is fine and is Qt, but I would prefer using the purpose-built LXQt-archiver for the LXQt desktop instead.

Attempting to remove ark after removing xarchiver will just try to reinstall xarchiver again. How can I break out of this dependency loop and just use LXQt archiver instead? Thanks.
Creating art on deviantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/chaussettes99

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Software] Replacing xarchiver with LXQt-archiver in the LXQt desktop?

#2 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

Maybe look into equivs
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/equivs

I haven't used it, but sounds like what you need.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

@ttila

#3 Post by @ttila »

I use Lxqt in my Debian testing with xarchiver, file-roller and lxqt-archiver.
The Lxqt Is a virtual package whom has as dependency ark or x archiver.
You can remove it safely.

kalwisti

#4 Post by kalwisti »

Hi, Chaussettes,

If you're relatively new to LXQt, you might find it helpful to know that the PCManFM-Qt file manager has the ability to compress and/or extract archives (by right-clicking).

You can choose which Archiver program you wish to use from PCManFM-Qt's Edit menu > Preferences > Advanced > Archiver integration:

HTH and Good luck. :)
Registered Linux User # 442201

Debian 12.1 "Bookworm" Xfce (64-bit)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 SFF: Intel Core i3-6100, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 530

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

@ttila wrote: 2023-03-21 08:42 I use Lxqt in my Debian testing with xarchiver, file-roller and lxqt-archiver.
The Lxqt Is a virtual package whom has as dependency ark or x archiver.
You can remove it safely.
What? Not according to packages.debian.org--it's a real, separate application.
MX Linux packager and developer

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

Chaussettes wrote: 2023-03-21 06:35 Hello. I've recently installed the Debian LXQt desktop flavor and it works great, but I've been tearing out some of the gtk applications and replacing them with Qt equivelants. Xarchiver seems to be the one that is giving me trouble at replacing because for whatever reason the LXQt desktop forces itself to have some kind of graphical archive manager. If you decide to uninstall xarchiver, it will automatically install ark. Ark is fine and is Qt, but I would prefer using the purpose-built LXQt-archiver for the LXQt desktop instead.

Attempting to remove ark after removing xarchiver will just try to reinstall xarchiver again. How can I break out of this dependency loop and just use LXQt archiver instead? Thanks.
I can't see where you say what happens if you first install the lxqt-archiver, then remove all others. What happens?
MX Linux packager and developer

@ttila

#7 Post by @ttila »

What? Not according to packages.debian.org--it's a real, separate application.
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/lxqt

Lxqt is a meta-package and:

Code: Select all

dep: xarchiver
    frontend GTK+ per i formati di compressione più utilizzati 
or ark
    utilità d'archiviazione 

kalwisti

#8 Post by kalwisti »

I understand the "dependency loop" that Chaussettes is describing because I experienced the same behavior on my LXQt system. (I installed it using the Debian 11.6.0 netinst image and chose LXQt as the sole desktop environment. xarchiver was included by default, but not lxqt-archiver. I had to install lxqt-archiver separately, as a later step).
stevepusser wrote: 2023-03-21 21:00 I can't see where you say what happens if you first install the lxqt-archiver, then remove all others. What happens?
(I'm not a packager, so my knowledge gaps will be on full display ...) :oops: I'm guessing this situation is due to the dependencies of the lxqt metapackage [?]:

My preference is to use lxqt-archiver and just leave xarchiver installed alongside it. I haven't run into any problems/conflicts between them ...
Registered Linux User # 442201

Debian 12.1 "Bookworm" Xfce (64-bit)

Lenovo ThinkCentre M800 SFF: Intel Core i3-6100, 16 GB RAM, Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 530