Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Best-Of] Returning to Debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
SamuelMac

[Best-Of] Returning to Debian

#1 Post by SamuelMac »

I started my Linux journey in the late 1990's Debian Hamm and ran it for several years moving through the updates to Etch. Life, carrier, kids all came along, mostly carrier and I left Linux behind. I've been in technology sense 1989, so many changes in so many ways, from 13 inch terminals to 30 inch curved displays.

In the last few months I have tried Ghost BSD, Fedora, Ubuntu, FreeBSD (I thought about Gentoo) but they didn't feel right. I have run Raspberry Pi's as servers for a couple years (Debian based OS) but I wanted to have a more robust system that I could use as a desktop, I still need a W10 system for a number of reason. Debian Bullseye with Mate` is really nice, I tried cinnamon but it just didn't do it for me, I liked Mate` on Ghost BSD but I couldn't get past the difference in the file system (old guy stuff) I just remember where things are with Debian.

Debian feels right like an old friend, I think a big part of it is the Debian Wiki every instruction for installation is straightforward even installing the non-free Nvidia drivers. Apache2, PHP, Mariadb, PhpMyAdmin they just worked without a hitch. Bluefish, Chromium, VLC, and a couple others were no brainier's.

I want to say Thank You to everyone who contributes directly or indirectly to Debian!

Again Thank You!

San,

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Best-Of] Returning to Debian

#2 Post by cds60601 »

My *nix is a long journey and not dissimilar to anyone's here.
But as of the past 4 or 5 years, I flip between Sid and Arch. Longevity on any one of the two depends on what breaks and when.
For me, no reason to venture beyond the two.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious