Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Suitable for Debian? (Intel NUC i7 11th Gen)

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
keith56

Suitable for Debian? (Intel NUC i7 11th Gen)

#1 Post by keith56 »

Hi,

I am just about to spend my own money for the first time on a computer that I will put Debian on from the start. I have installed it quite happily on old MacBooks in the past, but they were pretty much end of life and it didn't matter if the installation failed. This time it is a new machine and I want to avoid a mistake that could have been solved by asking a question here.

I am looking at an Intel NUC i7 (11th Gen). From what I have been able to find out elsewhere, it should be a reasonable choice. I have done a search on these forums and some people are clearly using Intel NUC's. The question I have is not so much 'can' Debian be installed, but rather will a relatively new user encounter significant problems doing so? Are there any obvious reg flags I should be aware of, or is this a 'safe'-ish choice?

It should be obvious that I am a little new to this. I am transitioning from macos, so I apologise if the question is a little naive.

Keith.

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Suitable for Debian? (Intel NUC i7 11th Gen)

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Some may disagree, but this is how I do it:

* I purchase second hand high end computers. Why? Debian will work best on hardware with drivers that have reached maturity; this means that driver issues will generally be ironed out.

* I have tried different hardware, but a good ThinkPad with all-Intel hardware (GPU, CPU and WiFi) has never failed me. There are probably other good options out there that I have never tried, so take it as anecdotal evidence. Still, I'd avoid Nvidia every time.

Edit: This is extremely useful if you want to find out if your hardware is compatible: https://linux-hardware.org/?d=Debian
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by wizard10000 »

Like Hallivor, I prefer refurbished high-end machines. My opinion only but trying to future-proof my technology causes me to pay too much for my technology. By the time I actually need the additional horsepower it'll cost about half what it does right now :mrgreen:

edit: You may need a kernel and wireless firmware from backports but that NUC will work fine.

cheers -
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#4 Post by BBQdave »

Hallvor wrote: 2023-03-25 15:40I have tried different hardware, but a good ThinkPad with all-Intel hardware (GPU, CPU and WiFi) has never failed me.
+1

I get hand me down hardware from my wife, her old work laptops. She upgrades hardware every 2 to 4 years, lenovo ThinkPads usually, although the last one was a lenovo Edge. I wipe Windows and install GNU/Linux, no issues.

And the same as Hallvor stated, all intel hardware: GPU, CPU and WiFi.

My daily driver is an old Toshiba Satellite C655, I upgraded the hardware and just really like this machine :)
But my other laptop is a lenovo Edge running Fedora Workstation 37, don't kick me off the forum please :mrgreen:

It seems like the perfect recipe, lenovo Thinkpads a few years old, well supported by GNU/Linux :)
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

devNull

#5 Post by devNull »

keith56 wrote: 2023-03-25 15:18I am looking at an Intel NUC i7 (11th Gen). From what I have been able to find out elsewhere, it should be a reasonable choice. I have done a search on these forums and some people are clearly using Intel NUC's. The question I have is not so much 'can' Debian be installed, but rather will a relatively new user encounter significant problems doing so? Are there any obvious reg flags I should be aware of, or is this a 'safe'-ish choice?
I use that model for a headless installation. It is excellent. The only issue I've had is that I cannot fully shut down the NUC. The power light remains illuminated (reboot works as expected). I'm unsure of the cause, however some have suggested that it may be a kernel issue.

mrkapqa

#6 Post by mrkapqa »

had also such model for some time, it works fairly well with Linux, it could still be quieter to taste.very compact , quick and responsive. the 2,5 ethernet had issues, driver installation (Windows) was bit cumbersome.
@devNull think that this is made by Design, there are vPro Model that can be remotely accessed, for that they need to be "on" somehow i presume; also would like it the computer shutoff completely when so desired, that was also the reason sold an earlier NUC that got via ebay; did not the like the fact that it never completely shut down.