Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Bookworm] Cannot login using Wayland & SDDM

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
richfi

[Testing - Bookworm] Cannot login using Wayland & SDDM

#1 Post by richfi »

Hi,

I set up my (11th Gen Intel test) machine with 3 DEs: KDE Plasma, GNOME, and Xfce. These are the options I have when logging in:

I can log in with any X11 option but if I try a Wayland option then I'm dumped back to the text-mode boot screen at which I can't do anything other than reset the machine. I've tried energising other login sessions via ctrl-alt-F1 through F7 but there is nothing.

This behaviour might be different than that which I first experienced: yesterday (after getting the Nvidia drivers/Secure Boot issue sorted) I tried to first log in using GNOME and Wayland, but kept getting returned to the SDDM screen. Now that I've logged in several times to KDE Plasma, GNOME and Xfce using X11 I get dumped to the boot screen every time I try a Wayland option. However, I didn't exactly do a scientific test here, it's just the behaviour that I'm experiencing after trying various options: I've run through all the non-Wayland options in the list and the two Wayland options I tried - KDE Plasma & GNOME - both have the same broken behaviour (on my system using an Nvidia RTX 3050 at least).

It seems to me that the options are a little on the redundant side too. Does it to you? E.g. GNOME on Wayland (Wayland) and GNOME (Wayland) I assume are exactly the same thing.

(Apologies if the image is on the large side: I'm currently on a 4K display scaled to 100%)
Attachments
IMG_1472.jpeg

@ttila

Re: [Testing - Bookworm] Cannot login using Wayland & SDDM

#2 Post by @ttila »

I read you are using a NVidia 3050 with official closed drivers, right?
Read my post viewtopic.php?p=766912#p766912