Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Bookworm] Lack of audio output device magically fixed by plugging in headphones?

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
richfi

[Testing - Bookworm] Lack of audio output device magically fixed by plugging in headphones?

#1 Post by richfi »

Yesterday I re-installed Debian 12 Alpha2: I'd been having problems with Nvidia drivers. While I was updating the system and installing drivers, etc., I was logged in via the default GNOME/Wayland option. I was listening to music on YouTube via speakers plugged into the line-out 3.5" jack on the rear panel while I apt'd.

Once I'd managed to log in to the system with the Nvidia drivers installed - on KDE/X11 this time, because I can apparently no longer log in with Wayland with the Nvidia drivers - there was a red circle and oblique line through the speaker icon and I was informed that there were no audio input or output devices when I clicked on it.

I checked journalctl and dmesg looking for likely culprits: Nvidia was sort of implicated, but not definitively.

I plugged in my headphones to the 3.5" jack socket on the front panel to see if that worked. It did, kind of: sound came out of the speakers via the rear line-out jack! I checked the audio profile which was set to Analog Stereo Output + Digital Stereo (IEC958) Input. I changed the radio button setting to various Analog Output options: all seemed to work (from what I recall). I've left it on Analog Surround 7.1 Output and sound is continuing to be routed to the speakers. If now plug the headphones in the front panel jack the system does not recognize the event: sound continues to play from the speakers plugged into the rear line-out jack.

So the behaviour is still broken, but I prefer the way it's broken currently than how it was when I first logged in. It'd be great if the behaviour was correct however and honoured the headphones being plugged in & removed.

But wait, there's more!

Playing around some more just now, if I select Pro Audio in the Profiles hamburger menu then I get 4 audio output devices and 3 input (presumably corresponding to rear panel line-in and mic-in and front panel mic jack). It seems the 1st output is the rear panel line-out and the second is the headphone jack. I am guessing the third and fourth are SPDIF-Out and RS-Out jack on the rear panel. If I select Play all audio via this device for USB Audio Pro 1 then sound is routed to the headphones, and for USB Audio Pro 0 the speakers via the line-out jack on the rear panel (i.e. the regular sound output jack). Why does the Sound/Volume widget in the panel think that all my audio input and output devices are USB devices though? As far as I'm aware they're not: the (MSI Z590 Unify) motherboard has a Realtek ALC4080 codec.

I put the Profile back to Analog Surround 7.1 Output and no longer have headphone output, but music is coming out of the speakers and I can easily get headphone output by changing the Profile back to Pro Audio.