Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

LXQT package also install entire KDE

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
Uptorn

LXQT package also install entire KDE

#1 Post by Uptorn »

Installed using apt install lxqt sddm. After starting sddm, it defaults to KDE desktop (I presume kwin packages pulled in the entirety of KDE?). Is this the expected behavior? Should LXQT not be used together with sddm?

epp

Re: LXQT package also install entire KDE

#2 Post by epp »

There may be an explanation here re KDE.

Any desktop manager should be able to launch an LXQt session. I have lightdm installed.

paxmark1

#3 Post by paxmark1 »

Hmm. LXQT does like many of the KF5 base components as requirements. Those components pull in very few if any dependencies. Tsujuan did better job than I could in explaining LXQT's usage of them.

As you can see from a previous post of mine, I was not looking in the upper left portion of sddm and did not see the place where you can toggle between DE's (or even DE vs WM). Now I can.

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by wizard10000 »

Not all of KDE, just most of it :)

LXQT pulls in a ton of KDE dependencies because it uses kwin as a window manager. Last Debian install I did I installed it because I was curious on whether they still used openbox as a WM - they don't. That install lasted about three minutes on my shiny new-to-me laptop.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin

dlu2021

#5 Post by dlu2021 »

I looks like a dependency issue:

sddm recommends sddm-theme-debian-breeze
sddm-theme-debian-breeze recommends desktop-base
desktop-base recommends kde-standard or xfce4 or wmaker

So, it looks like lxqt hasn't been added yet as an "or" recommends for the desktop-base package.

epp

#6 Post by epp »

I started this thread back in December, when I saw numerous Qt-related packages not updating. It was after this, that I discovered that installing the LXQt meta package also included a minimal KDE desktop.

Running Synaptic to update packages during that time, eventually removed the excess packages as well as KDE.

I'm using xfwm4 with LXQt, found kwin (the kwin-x11 package) to be extremely slow and with picom, there is a delay in the appearance of the desktop and the window theme is lost.

@ttila

#7 Post by @ttila »

You could install the lxqt-core package and after install only needed software :wink:

bin

#8 Post by bin »

Don't forget the --no-install-recommends option when installing stuff. Very handy when there are badly written meta-packages.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#9 Post by None1975 »

wizard10000 wrote: 2023-03-28 19:20 Not all of KDE, just most of it :)

LXQT pulls in a ton of KDE dependencies because it uses kwin as a window manager.
No, by default LXQT doesn't use it. LXQT, by default, uses xfwm4, or another x-window-manager. Just check this
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

wizard10000
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by wizard10000 »

None1975 wrote: 2023-03-29 12:01No, by default LXQT doesn't use it. LXQT, by default, uses xfwm4, or another x-window-manager. Just check this
You're right, I was mistaken. I saw all that KDE in LXQT and assumed it was using kwin.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin