Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Hardware] support for Intel Alder Lake wifi module

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Fasterandfaster

[Hardware] support for Intel Alder Lake wifi module

#1 Post by Fasterandfaster »

Please let me know about a forum that can answer my questions if this one cannot. Thanks.

I have installed verified Debian 11 on a system with Intel Alder Lake. It does not support the Alder Lake wifi module. TAILS (Debian based) supported the module in R 5.10 but does not in R 5.11. Qubes (containing Debian templates but based on Fedora at root which does support Alder Lake wifi) also does not support the hardware module. What does Fedora 37 have that Debian 11 does not which provides support for the wifi module? How do I obtain support for the module in Debian with no network connection? How do I get drivers onto a USB, for instance?

lspci -k

* shows "unknown" Intel - it's there, it's just unknown

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Hardware] support for Intel Alder Lake wifi module

#2 Post by sunrat »

First hit for a Startpage search for "debian Alder Lake wifi" is https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebia ... ullseye%29
It says of Oct 22 the required iwlwfi firmware is not available in Debian but can be downloaded from kernel git.
As it's now Mar 23, there is a new firmware-iwlwifi in Bookworm so you could download that package and install it locally. Do not add Bookworm sources to Bullseye! You probably need a newer kernel from backports if you are on default Bullseye kernel.

Code: Select all

wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free-firmware/f/firmware-nonfree/firmware-iwlwifi_20230210-4_all.deb
sudo apt install firmware-iwlwifi_20230210-4_all.deb
Support for 12th Gen Intel will be much better in Bookworm than Bullseye as it wasn't even released when Bullseye became Stable. Bookworm is now in hard freeze and a number of people, including myself, have installed it successfully from the Alpha2 installer.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!