Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Hardware] 2 graphics cards. blank screen after login

Need help with peripherals or devices?
impetus_maximus

[Hardware] 2 graphics cards. blank screen after login

#1 Post by impetus_maximus »

i installed Debian 11.7.0 x86-64

with both cards (RX590/Mi25) installed i had trouble with installs hanging. never making it to the language/keyboard select screens.
with only the RX 590 connected, debian installs no problem. then installing the Mi25, and booting the screen goes blank after logging in grub select.
i'm assuming the output is being switched to the Mi25? :?

would appreciate any help in the matter.
please and thank you.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Hardware] 2 graphics cards. blank screen after login

#2 Post by CwF »

What was the intended use?

The motherboard should have the control you need to correctly boot with the card present.
I assume you have 3 or more x16 slots and know their ordering.

If you have to write a hint file for xorg to ignore the card, you can. Then you can post a lspci report.

Without mxGPU or whatever it is now I expect it to be of limited use. Without trying it I'd suggest it is not supported.

impetus_maximus

#3 Post by impetus_maximus »

CwF wrote: 2023-05-17 14:31 What was the intended use?

The motherboard should have the control you need to correctly boot with the card present.
I assume you have 3 or more x16 slots and know their ordering.

If you have to write a hint file for xorg to ignore the card, you can. Then you can post a lspci report.

Without mxGPU or whatever it is now I expect it to be of limited use. Without trying it I'd suggest it is not supported.
thank you. my intent is to use the RX-590 for video out, the Mi25 will be used for ROCm crunching. pytorch etc.

board (z77 Extreme4) has 2 x16 slots which the cards are in. i assume they will run 2x8. my BIOS has an option to default to 'integrated' or 'PCI Express'. no option to choose which PCI Express slot.
the 590 outputs video, up until Grub starts loading the OS. then i get a black screen.

[edit]the 590 is in PCIE-1, the Mi25 is in PCIE-3

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by CwF »

You could try reversing the cards order but the real solution is to disable the 'rombar' or bios initialization for whatever slot the Mi25 resides. That requires a genuine server/workstation class motherboard and the z77 doesn't qualify. You should try a Xeon E5 class motherboard. Since 100% of the useful work possible on the Mi25 is pumped through the bus, you should actually have a real bus route!

stevepusser

#5 Post by stevepusser »

So...you want video from an AMD card?

Did you use the install ISO that has the non-free firmware (firmware-amd-graphics) that AMD GPUs require, or the standard one?
MX Linux packager and developer

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#6 Post by CwF »

stevepusser wrote: 2023-05-20 20:11 So...you want video from an AMD card?
In this case, no, not exactly. The card is more a co-processor than GPU.