Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Installation] SSD

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
andwan0

[Installation] SSD

#1 Post by andwan0 »

I used balena etcher to flash my 120GB Samsung SSD... using Debian Live image. I don't have any other portable USB devices at the moment.
Am wondering if it's possible to convert/change this so that Debian is not a readonly image but actual normal writable OS like if it was installed on the SSD?
I tried Debian Installer icon but it says no other installable/storage devices available. I tried to launch gparted but it won't let me saying am not admin. I tried su.

PsychoHermit

Re: [Installation] SSD

#2 Post by PsychoHermit »

If it were mine I would partition it to make a place to install Linux. After it's installed you could recycle the boot partition.

--glenn

DebianSpirit

#3 Post by DebianSpirit »

What you want I got it on a flash drive. I think I created a blog.txt to explain to myself in the future how to do it. As soon as I find it, I'll post it here. Greetings.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Aki »

Hello,
andwan0 wrote: 2023-05-21 22:04 I used balena etcher to flash my 120GB Samsung SSD... using Debian Live image. I don't have any other portable USB devices at the moment. Am wondering if it's possible to convert/change this so that Debian is not a readonly image but actual normal writable OS like if it was installed on the SSD? I tried Debian Installer icon but it says no other installable/storage devices available. I tried to launch gparted but it won't let me saying am not admin. I tried su.
As far I know, it's not possible. You can only repartition and reformat you SSD if you want to erase the copied image. After that, as @DebianSpirit pointed out, you need to burn your Debian Live image on an USB external disk (for example, a flash drive). Then, you can install from it on the SSD as a regular Debian Installation. It could be better to install from a Debian installer image and not from a Debian USB live image.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need further assistance.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀