Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Testing - Bookworm] [Solved] Installing Debian Bookworm with installer RC4

- - ALL UNSTABLE / TESTING THREADS SHOULD BE POSTED HERE - -
This sub-forum is the dedicated area for the ongoing Unstable/Testing releases of Debian. Advanced, or Experienced User support only. Use the software, give, and take advice with caution.
jfabernathy

[Testing - Bookworm] [Solved] Installing Debian Bookworm with installer RC4

#1 Post by jfabernathy »

I just tried to boot a USB with bookworm rc4 (debian-bookworm-DI-rc4-arm64-netinst.iso) on a Macbook Pro8,1. So about 12 years old. Core i5-2415M.

With the option key pressed at power on the USB will not even show up.
If I put the ISO on Ventoy, then I see the images and can try the RC4. In normal boot mode, not forcing UEFI, it fails to do anything but show Secure boot not enables. In grub 2 EFI mode it shows the install screen but when you press enter on your choice, it draws an error and says you need to load the kernel first.

Debian has always been good on older hardware, but this iso can't seem to be installed on the Macbook Pro8,1. I have had issues with other Distros on this laptop but forcing the grub2 efi mode has gotten around that.

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Testing - Bookworm]

#2 Post by Aki »

Hello,
jfabernathy wrote: 2023-06-04 13:52 I just tried to boot a USB with bookworm rc4 (debian-bookworm-DI-rc4-arm64-netinst.iso) on a Macbook Pro8,1. So about 12 years old. Core i5-2415M.
You downloaded and tested the installer for arm64 version (for ARM processors) instead of the amd64 (for INTEL/AMD processors [1]) ?

---
[1] https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/bookworm_di_rc4/amd64/iso-cd/debian-bookworm-DI-rc4-amd64-netinst.iso
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

jfabernathy

#3 Post by jfabernathy »

Sorry for the really bad screw-up.I need my eyes examined. :-)

Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#4 Post by Aki »

Hello,
jfabernathy wrote: 2023-06-05 11:29 Sorry for the really bad screw-up.I need my eyes examined. :-)
Don't worry :-) I'm updating the subject of the thread to make it more explanatory. Happy Debian!
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀