Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Issue with Files and external Hd's - Gnome

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Rhydwin

Issue with Files and external Hd's - Gnome

#1 Post by Rhydwin »

My Hard drives do not appear in my file location.
How do I get them to appear without clicking Other locations ?

amritarha

Re: Issue with Files and external Hd's - Gnome

#2 Post by amritarha »

If you are wanting them to show up in the links on the left in your file explorer I believe you can navigate to where you see your hard drives and click and drag them over the the left pane where you see desktop, documents, etc. It should show a horizontal line when it's positioned right and it will keep a link to them over there. You might also be able to right click and add it there as well.

It's been a while so I'm recalling this from memory. I am using debian without a graphical interface currently.

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by BBQdave »

Rhydwin wrote: 2023-06-06 13:58My Hard drives do not appear in my file location.
If your data is not sensitive, and you wish to share with others access, I would recommend formatting your external HD to FAT. Data can be accessed by GNU/Linux, Windows and other OS's :)

And what file system is on your external HD? That will help in determining how GNU/Linux can connect :)
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

Kassebasse

#4 Post by Kassebasse »

@BBQdave Isn't exfat better in that regard, becuase it should have support across all the new plattforms? Although FAT is more supported, and more widely used, not being able to store more than 4 GB of a file in a FAT file system is kinda limiting in todays standard.

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by BBQdave »

Kassebasse wrote: 2023-06-09 09:30Isn't exfat better in that regard, becuase it should have support across all the new plattforms? Although FAT is more supported, and more widely used, not being able to store more than 4 GB of a file in a FAT file system is kinda limiting in todays standard.
Yes, possibly :)

I had an old Hard Drive I swapped out of a laptop (upgraded to SSD) and put the HD in an USB Case. Did this years ago, and the format was FAT32 for the USB HD.

At present, I'm still using that same USB HD to backup files. I'm an amateur photographer and use GIMP and other photo applications to manipulate and create photo files. So far, I've not had an issue storing my data, with photo data being the largest junks.

If you were working with video or other large data files, probably best to back up with a more modern format that can handle those large junks. For my purposes, sharing data with family and friends and backing up my laptop, FAT32 works great :)
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD