Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] 2245 days

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

[Discussion] 2245 days

#1 Post by oswaldkelso »

2245 days since I last booted the old office desktop. We we're looking for some files so I pulled the drive stuck it in my Slackware-15 box and booted it.

It was a bit slower than normal due to the filesystem check but up popped the gdm and there were 3 choices! Only 2 user accounts but 3 choices :-) Anyway not bad at all considering. I always rated Debian wheezy.
Now could I recall the root password.... nope. But blow me down I got the works password at the first go. (There used to be a calendar on the notice board in the office from our old solar water-heating panel manufacture. Their name was the password!).
I created a new root password and re-created the 2 other user passwords so the other directors would remember them. Went to the Debian archive and downloaded and installed ncdu to delete crap and clean up the system of the detritus the shouldn't have been there in the first place. Never found the files I was looking for but it was really interesting watching the crap quality videos and I did find some scans of long lost paper files I'd been looking for for ages.

Anyway.

What's the longest you've gone between reboots on a crucial system?
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

Re: [Discussion] 2245 days

#2 Post by NFT5 »

Password for root is always "root". Believe me, it works in 9 out of 10 cases. Have a mate who's a Red Hat Sysadmin; his password was "a". Only at home, not on his commercial projects.

I have a couple of boxes that haven't been fired up in over 10 years. Built one of them to digitalise old music formats on cassette and CD. Also has a floppy drive so I can do something about all those 1.4MB floppies with DOS and Win3.1 on them. Think that one has Wheezy on it as well.

Found an USFF box only fairly recently that still had Wheezy on it. It's destined for a HDD replacement and a new life running Bullseye and being a pi-hole and mail server.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#3 Post by cds60601 »

oswaldkelso wrote: 2023-06-08 21:13 2245 days since I last booted the old office desktop.
My God, that's hideous yet uncannily sexy ;)
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by oswaldkelso »

^
Not as bad as it sounds. We relocated the office material (computer and paper files) to a room in another building and the new secretary does things differently. Much more cloud based. As it turns out I did have a backup of most of the files on my Dragora box but it was so long ago I couldn't recall if it was the same. :mrgreen:

I just thought if I left/died or the original office burnt down the files would still exist. Whether some one else would have be able to access them without help is another thing :lol:

I'm not particularly organised but I have backups of backups. I even have my original PowerPC iMac 333mHz with Debian on it from when I first joined this forum about 18 years ago. I booted it last year :P
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian