Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[bookworm] It has begun. ITS ALIVE! Debian 12 "bookworm" released.

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
sdibaja

Re: [bookworm] It has begun.

#21 Post by sdibaja »

donald wrote: 2023-06-10 14:14
During release all of the automated archive maintenance services are disabled, including for stable distributions. The archive will be administered manually by an FTP master during the release process, and automated services are usually enabled on the day after release. #ReleasingDebianBookworm

Submitted on 10 June 2023 16:12:00
By Jonathan Wiltshire
ahhh, interesting. I did not know that.

thanks for highlighting it

MiracleDinner

#22 Post by MiracleDinner »

What's the best place to check when Debian 12 comes out exactly?

I have found this page https://www.debian.org/... but the front page www.debian.org doesn't show it and going to deb.debian.org (the mirror I use) still shows that http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/InRelease is bullseye?

I want to keep my system purely on stable and upgrade at the soonest possible moment after the release is officially out.
Last edited by donald on 2023-06-10 14:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: *Edit I removed your link so more people would not read it and think it was now available.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#23 Post by donald »

MiracleDinner wrote: 2023-06-10 14:35 What's the best place to check when Debian 12 comes out exactly?

I have found this page https://www... but the front page www.debian.org doesn't show it and going to deb.debian.org (the mirror I use) still shows that http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/InRelease is bullseye?

I want to keep my system purely on stable and upgrade at the soonest possible moment after the release is officially out.
Here or www.micronews.debian.org.

I'm pushing the items to micronews and posting here at the same time.

We have quite some time before the release goes live.

The page earlier was in error, I jumped the gun with outdated instructions, sorry about that. :(

*Edit I removed your link so more people would not read it and think it was now available.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

#24 Post by donald »

Every Debian release includes errata and bookworm is no different. The first update to the stable suite is usually expected about 4-6 weeks after release and includes fixes for issues discovered late in the development process. Check the release notes for more information about the known issues. #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian12 #Debian

Submitted on 10 June 2023 17:09:00
By Jonathan Wiltshire
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

#25 Post by donald »

Upgrades by users immediately after a Debian release place a significant load on the mirror network. In July 2019 the release of buster saw nearly 1GiB/s peak file downloads for several days on some networks, whilst in August 2021 the releasing bullseye caused 1.05GiB/s. That's over 840Gbps network bandwidth! More statistics are available at https://www.accum.se/technical/statisti ... nitordata/ #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian

Submitted on 10 June 2023 17:35:00
By Jonathan Wiltshire
Typo perfectionish.

Random_Troll

#26 Post by Random_Troll »

donald wrote: 2023-06-10 15:54
In July 2019 the release of buster saw nearly 1GiB/s peak file downloads for several days on some networks, whilst in August 2021 the releasing bullseye caused 1.05GiB/s. That's over 840Gbps network bandwidth!
Shouldn't that be "8.4Gbps"? There are 8 bits in a byte.
Jeder nach seinen Fähigkeiten, jedem nach seinen Bedürfnissen.

donald

#27 Post by donald »

Image testing is approaching the final stages, with only a couple of minor issues found. So far they are not serious enough to hold up the rest of the process #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian #Debian12

Submitted on 10 June 2023 18:18:00
By Jonathan Wiltshire
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#28 Post by donald »

Random_Troll wrote: 2023-06-10 16:18
donald wrote: 2023-06-10 15:54
In July 2019 the release of buster saw nearly 1GiB/s peak file downloads for several days on some networks, whilst in August 2021 the releasing bullseye caused 1.05GiB/s. That's over 840Gbps network bandwidth!
Shouldn't that be "8.4Gbps"? There are 8 bits in a byte.
If you never bring this up again, I will send you an AOL CD. :wink:
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#29 Post by donald »

Debian 12 has over 34,780 Source packages. #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian12 #Debian

Submitted on 10 June 2023 18:43:00
By Donald Norwood
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#30 Post by donald »

The tested images have been signed off and the remaining release tasks can continue. Thank you all our image testers <3 #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian #Debian12

Submitted on 10 June 2023 19:07:00
By Jonathan Wiltshire
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#31 Post by donald »

It's time for the final pre-flight checks on all our supporting infrastructure, and then bookworm will begin arriving on a mirror near you! #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian12 #Debian

Submitted on 10 June 2023 20:12:00
By Jonathan Wiltshire
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#32 Post by donald »

Debian is translated into many languages, and that includes the supporting materials. Even the release announcement itself will initially be made in Czech, German, French and Swedish as well as English, and other languages will be added in the coming days #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian #Debian12 #i18n

Submitted on 10 June 2023 20:40:00
By Jonathan Wiltshire
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#33 Post by donald »

bookworm is now syncing to a mirror near you! Image torrents are up and the bandwidth graphs are looking healthy #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian #Debian12

Submitted on 10 June 2023 21:56:00
By Jonathan Wiltshire
Typo perfectionish.

MiracleDinner

#34 Post by MiracleDinner »

Okay, so I can confirm that http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/InRelease does now indeed point to bookworm, and testing points to trixie. However, the front page (debian.org) still doesn't announce the update.

Going to debian.org https://www.debian.org/download still directs me to the 11.7 netinstall iso, but going to https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/ produces the live iso images for bookworm (of course, it's now no longer necessary to have to go out of my way to find the "unofficial" iso for non-free firmware).

Should I update now? Does this mean Debian 12 is officially out?

donald

#35 Post by donald »

@MiracleDinner We are waiting for the website rebuild task to complete, it has been ... quite some time now. As soon as it completes, everything goes live. The job has been running for north of 30 minutes at this point.
Typo perfectionish.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#36 Post by cds60601 »

Got my stable iso
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

donald

#37 Post by donald »

Debian 12 "bookworm" released and available for download. Thank you! #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian12 #Debian

Submitted on 11 June 2023 02:01:00
By Donald Norwood
Typo perfectionish.

donald

#38 Post by donald »

In accordance with the 2022 General Resolution about non-free firmware, we have introduced a new archive area: non-free-firmware. #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian12 #Debian

Submitted on 11 June 2023 02:50:00
By Donald Norwood
Typo perfectionish.

Fossy
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#39 Post by Fossy »

Installed on my test laptop .
Went smoothly and without problems .
Congratulations and thanks to the developers !

Code: Select all

bookwormtest@bookwormtest-k54hr:~$ inxi -Sr
System:
  Host: bookwormtest-k54hr Kernel: 6.1.0-9-amd64 arch: x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: Cinnamon v: 5.6.8 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
Repos:
  Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list
    1: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm main non-free-firmware
    2: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-updates main non-free-firmware
    3: deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security/ bookworm-security main non-free-firmware
    4: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bookworm-backports main non-free-firmware
bookwormtest@bookwormtest-k54hr:~$ 
ASUS GL753VD / X550LD / K54HR / X751LAB ( x2 )
Bookworm12.5_Cinnamon / Calamares Single Boot installations
Firefox ESR / DuckDuckGo / Thunderbird / LibreOffice / GIMP / eID Software

https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/cu ... so-hybrid/

donald

#40 Post by donald »

The Debian Astro blend comes with everything those who are interested in astronomy could ask for, all packages were recently updated and a few new packages have been introduced such as openvlbi for radio astronomers. #ReleasingDebianBookworm #Debian12 #Debian

Submitted on 11 June 2023 03:02:00
By Donald Norwood
Typo perfectionish.