Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Software] Replace unofficial package with official Debian version (sogo)

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
Artim

[Software] Replace unofficial package with official Debian version (sogo)

#1 Post by Artim »

For many years now, we have been getting sogo from their official Debian repository. But as it always takes a long time for them to adapt to new Debian releases (and create e.g. a Bookworm entry, for Bullseye I think it took several month), I'd love to move to the package maintained by Debian. By coincidence, I've commented out the third party repository when version 5.8.0 was installed (to be more precise 5.8.0.20230104-1), as back then it already seemed like bookworm would get this version. Now the question is, what would be the way to proceed.

Right now, we are obviously still on bullseye. My guess would be that due to the version number of the Debian version being 5.8.0-1 it won't simply be replaced by the Debian version. So I'll probably have to remove sogo, upgrade to bookworm and reinstall sogo. Removing without purging should keep all configuration files intact. My "problem" only is that the configuration of sogo for me is a bit of a blackbox. It was set up long before my time, so in /etc/sogo/sogo.conf almost everything is greyed out and the parts that aren't are simply ignored. And it's definetely not using the defaults either. The default database server in the config would be postgresql, which isn't even installed, we use mariadb. But the only other config file there is (that is included in the .deb coming from the Inverse repo) ist /etc/defaults/sogo, but there only the number of processes and the user for them is set.

Anybody has any experience with something like that can can tell me if it's possible to make the switch without needing to set up sogo from scratch?

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

Re: [Software] Replace unofficial package with official Debian version (sogo)

#2 Post by Bloom »

Sogo 5.8.0-1 is in the main repo of Bookworm and Sid.
Removing and reinstalling sogo should keep the configuration file. Prudent as we are, we always make a backup of such files before progressing, no?

Artim

#3 Post by Artim »

Bloom wrote: 2023-06-10 18:13 Prudent as we are, we always make a backup of such files before progressing, no?
Of course. But there can always be differences between the versions from the developers and (from their perspective) third parties.

Bloom
df -h | grep > 90TiB
df -h | grep > 90TiB

#4 Post by Bloom »

Yes. In that case, installing a new version may update the config file as well or present you with a choice in the matter. You could let it update and then compare the new configuration file with the backup you have made to see what's new and what should be entered in the new file to make it work like before.