Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] how make sure not installing non free software? debian 12

Ask for help with issues regarding the Installations of the Debian O/S.
Aki
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: [Solved] how make sure not installing non free software? debian 12

#21 Post by Aki »

baptx wrote: 2024-01-18 20:27 I reformatted my computer after this issue so I don't have the logs anymore. But everybody should be able to reproduce the issue with the LXQt ISO file (debian-live-12.0.0-amd64-lxqt.iso or newer version).
Allow me to have some doubts. The functionality for "firmware=never" is provided by the hw-detect package (see previous discussion [1]), which is installed by default (see [2]) otherwise the installed hardware would not be detected. Since you have reported this, it would be nice if you could do the appropriate checks with the appropriate logs.

Thanks.

---
[1] [Solved] firmware=never seems to prevent firmware from being loaded in the Debian 12.1 Xfce Live Installer
[2] debian-live-12.4.0-amd64-lxde.log
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

jmgibson1981

#22 Post by jmgibson1981 »

If pure non free is such a big deal then Debian can't default to be a "Universal Operating System". Go find another distro. Simple answer. Fork Debian if you have to. But don't expect the Universal Operating System to default to unusable for the average user. It just doesn't make sense.

You can do a debootstrap installation from a live boot I suppose. That shouldn't be a problem. You can avoid all kinds of stuff like that.

I don't know the official reasons for it but I'd surmise the reason non-free firmware is installed by default is because people complain when something doesn't work. They blame the distro and it's maintainers for their own choices (good or bad you decide).

I like the idea of a clear selection option in the installation. But it should also come with a disclaimer that your system will likely not perform as it should and this is being done outside of recommended operating conditions. Debian is not responsible for the results in this case.

baptx

#23 Post by baptx »

@Aki I uploaded the installer syslog in a new discussion:
viewtopic.php?t=159027