Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GNOME introduces Mosaic window management

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Head_on_a_Stick

GNOME introduces Mosaic window management

#1 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

From Tobias Bernard's GNOME Blog:
Mosaic is the default behavior. You open a window, it opens centered on the screen at a size that makes the most sense for the app. [...] As you open more windows, the existing windows move aside to make room for the new ones. If a new window doesn’t fit (e.g. because it wants to be maximized) it moves to its own workspace. If the window layout comes close to filling the screen, the windows are automatically tiled.
More here: https://blogs.gnome.org/tbernard/2023/0 ... anagement/

I think this sounds brilliant. GNOME does it again. I'm sure you will all agree :-)
deadbang

alienspy

Re: GNOME introduces Mosaic window management

#2 Post by alienspy »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2023-07-26 18:17 I think this sounds brilliant. GNOME does it again. I'm sure you will all agree :-)
Gnome is so hated by many, that i don't understand is it a sarcasm or not : ) But i really like Gnome, and Gnome is the one of main reasons why i keep using Linux. I think that Gnome tries to look in the future, even if sometimes, new features come, let's say, raw. I hope this particular feature will be useful. I like the direction of Gnome development and that it tries to move away from traditional paradigm. Thats by the way, is a cool thing in Linux, Microsoft and Apple have to cling to old standards to avoid confusion in "average" user. On Linux you can try Gnome, and if you don't like it, there are a lot of traditional desktops.

Head_on_a_Stick

#3 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

alienspy wrote: 2023-07-26 21:59i don't understand is it a sarcasm or not
I do genuinely like the new feature but I don't really think everybody will agree with me. Haters gonna hate.

I also appreciate the way GNOME tries to push the desktop paradigms forward all the time. I was disappointed when Windows stole GNOME's auto-tiling then expanded it to work with more than two windows but now GNOME has taken the lead again. Nice. I wouldn't be surprised to see Windows copy the Mosaic layout at some point in the future, it does seem like the ideal hybrid of stacking & tiling behaviour.
deadbang

trinidad

#4 Post by trinidad »

Have run gnome since Jessie. Versatile and fast and fewer software compatibility quirks. With Debian stable zero DE issues. My preferred Debian DE.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

I don't like Gnome and i don't like the way they went.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

arzgi

#6 Post by arzgi »

alienspy wrote: 2023-07-26 21:59
Gnome is so hated by many, that i don't understand is it a sarcasm or not : )
Well many years ago some one asked on other forum, how to enable n-up printing. The author knew his/her printer supports it, but could not find how do it in Gnome. After a few replys, Linus came and said "Gnome is for idiots!"

And that panel, for a long time gnome supported only one button on a mice, two is too compilicated :? But all these observations happened at least a decade ago.

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#7 Post by BBQdave »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2023-07-26 18:17 From Tobias Bernard's GNOME Blog:
Mosaic is the default behavior. You open a window, it opens centered on the screen at a size that makes the most sense for the app. [...] As you open more windows, the existing windows move aside to make room for the new ones. If a new window doesn’t fit (e.g. because it wants to be maximized) it moves to its own workspace. If the window layout comes close to filling the screen, the windows are automatically tiled.
I think this sounds brilliant.
This does sound interesting. I manually do what is described above, to set the application windows at a good size and allow for multiple open windows. If Gnome now does this automatically, very cool :)
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

Head_on_a_Stick

#8 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

arzgi wrote: 2023-07-27 17:26Linus came and said "Gnome is for idiots!"
Linus Torvalds doesn't use Debian because he can't understand the installer: viewtopic.php?t=17162&start=15
deadbang

ActiveColours

#9 Post by ActiveColours »

Confusing....What is the point of having tiles or whatever they call it jumping here and there on your screen?
I don't understand why is so wrong to just minimize the non active windows on the top or a bottom panel? ( I have just one on the top).

You might have a trillion windows open simultaneously but I doubt if you are going to need two or hardly three active ones maximized simultaneously on your work space. In this case you can resize them and place them side by side something that is not a problem in the modern extra wide super large screens. Even if you have multiple tabs of minimized windows on the panel, their tabs are always on the same place. You just click without even having to pay attention where they exactly are positioned and maximize them again. Why have them changing position on your screen? How is that supposed to be productive? I mean trying to bring in the foreground the window that you were writing something while this has moved automatically on some other place of your screen because it rearranged the tiles to fit better.

The reason why I've left Gnome years ago and stuck with Mate is that its developing team focused more on the looks than productivity. I doubt TBH if the people that develop all these things have ever tried to finish a task fast and without that much thinking. The most productive desktop arrangement is the one that you don't have to think or even look where everything is. Everything has to be at the same place so you don't have to look where something is in order to click on it, maximize, minimize bring forward or activate.
That is how you can work fast.

canci
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#10 Post by canci »

I don't hate, but just wanted to say that tiling WMs already do that without the overhead of a memory hungry JavaScript compiler that feels like running a PlayStation 5 emulator :D
Image Stable / Asus VivoBook X421DA / AMD Ryzen 7 3700U / Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx (Picasso) / 8 GB RAM / 512GB NVMe

READ THIS:

* How to Post a Thread Here
* Other Tips and Great Resources

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#11 Post by NFT5 »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2023-07-27 08:37 I don't really think everybody will agree with me. Haters gonna hate.
Afraid I'm in the not agreeing faction. Hater? Maybe, Gnome just doesn't work for me.

I use two monitors, each 1920 x 1200, so I have plenty of screen real estate. But I arrange windows according to priority (my priority, not someone else's) and the task I'm working on. So, if I'm working on a big, wide spreadsheet or a complex graphic then I want that window if not maximised then quite large and directly in front of me while other windows, for look up or for non related tasks I'll reduce in size or have on the second monitor. In such a situation I certainly wouldn't want Gnome, or some other application resizing and moving windows. That's why I use KDE/Plasma - for one of my favourite features, the ability of the DE to remember size and position by application.

Mosiacing windows? Not for me.

Hamburger menus? OK, there I really am a hater.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by sunrat »

Gnome is no friend of mine either, but I'm open to see what eventuates with this. As it seems to be just a concept without implementation for now, it could be some time to actualisation.
I'm quite pleased and comfortable with KDE Plasma's window handling now. Set Window Placement to "Minimal Overlapping" and a couple of Window/Application rules and they usually appear exactly where I want them. Helps having UHD monitors though. :D
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Chaussettes

#13 Post by Chaussettes »

The concept sounds cool but it makes me wonder who is actually running a workspace with 10 windows in GNOME like some of the screenshots in the article suggest. My workflow for GNOME has always been having a single window that takes up the full screen real estate per workspace, maybe 2 if I have to do 2 things at once quickly. If anyone is doing serious work with that amount of windows open I don't see why they wouldn't just have one of the popular dock or panel extensions installed.
Creating art on deviantArt - https://www.deviantart.com/chaussettes99

BBQdave
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#14 Post by BBQdave »

Chaussettes wrote: 2023-08-05 19:10 ...who is actually running a workspace with 10 windows in GNOME like some of the screenshots in the article suggest. My workflow for GNOME has always been having a single window that takes up the full screen real estate per workspace, maybe 2 if I have to do 2 things at once quickly.
+1

I usually have one workspace with two browsers, multiple tabs open, and I stack one over the other - and have all tabs in view. Otherwise, if I'm working on something else, I pop into another workspace and focus on that application and window.

Seems like one would use multiple workspaces rather than 10 windows and multiple applications in one workspace :)
On quest for blue smoke and red rings!
Debian 12 Toshiba Satellite C655 | i3 2.3Ghz | Intel HD Graphics 3000 | 8GB RAM | 65GB SSD

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

BBQdave wrote: 2023-08-08 21:28Seems like one would use multiple workspaces rather than 10 windows and multiple applications in one workspace :)
Or Activities in KDE. Like having several separate computers in one. You can even have multiple workspaces per activity.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!