Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file

If none of the specific sub-forums seem right for your thread, ask here.
emek

[Solved] libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file

#1 Post by emek »

Hi,

I have a Dell system with Debian 12. I'm using command-configure to set a limit on the battery level. For some reason, recently it stop working. Since I also faced the same problem once when I was using Debian 11, I tried to reinstall the software provided by Dell website:

Code: Select all

srvadmin-hapi_9.5.0_amd64.deb
command-configure_4.10.0-595.ubuntu18_amd64.deb
However, now when I'm trying to use the software I get an error about a library:

/opt/dell/dcc/cctk: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I think that the problem is that this library was deprecated. Anyway, I find this link from Dell forum when the last user says:
May be of use to someone: as mentioned earlier, DCC 4.10 relies on libcrypto.so.1.1 which is a part of an obsolete version of libcrypto which is not bundled in most distributions anymore. If you don't already have it, but have something like wine or proton installed, you can copy their version of this file, ( cp or ln it to e.g., /usr/lib ) -- Tested on Debian12
Even though I have Wine I didn't find the library on my installation folder, but I did found it on Matlab folder (or I think is the same). So I created a symbolic link with:

ln /usr/local/MATLAB/R2023a/bin/glnxa64/libcrypto.so.1 /usr/lib
 mv /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1 /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.1

and now I'm getting another error about:

/opt/dell/dcc/cctk: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_1' not found (required by /opt/dell/dcc/cctk)
/opt/dell/dcc/cctk: /lib/libcrypto.so.1.1: version `OPENSSL_1_1_0' not found (required by /opt/dell/dcc/cctk)
So obviously, that didn't workout. What I can do to get to the library?
PS: I don't know if this is the right place to ask, so I hope it is.
Last edited by emek on 2023-08-22 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: libcrypto.so.1.1: cannot open shared object file

#2 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

emek wrote: 2023-08-21 16:25I'm using command-configure to set a limit on the battery level
I do that by modifying /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_{start,end}_threshold — do you have those for your Dell?

In respect of the shared object problem: don't symlink or copy system libraries. Request that Dell rebuild their .deb packages or provide the source.
deadbang

emek

#3 Post by emek »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2023-08-21 16:40 I do that by modifying /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/charge_control_{start,end}_threshold — do you have those for your Dell?
I don't. And when I'm trying to create them I got this message (I've tried with sudo):

[ Error writing lock file /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/.charge_start_threshold.swp: Permission denied ]
Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2023-08-21 16:40 In respect of the shared object problem: don't symlink or copy system libraries. Request that Dell rebuild their .deb packages or provide the source.
If I request from Dell, will take too much time for me, so I'm looking for a workaround for now. When you say provide the source, do you mean the package? If so, tthis is the link where I got the software from Dell.

Thanks!

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

emek wrote: 2023-08-21 16:57when I'm trying to create them I got this message
/sys/ is a kernel interface so it can only be modified in certain ways. In this case, if the files aren't there then your motherboard does not offer an interface recognised by the kernel.
emek wrote: 2023-08-21 16:57When you say provide the source, do you mean the package?
No, I mean the source code from which the Ubuntu package was built. If we had that the binary could be recompiled so that it needs the correct libraries.
deadbang

emek

#5 Post by emek »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote: 2023-08-21 17:26 No, I mean the source code from which the Ubuntu package was built. If we had that the binary could be recompiled so that it needs the correct libraries.
I get it! However, I don't think that I can either find or provide that because of copyright. So the only option is to ask in Dell forum for them to correct the package?

Thanks!

Edit: I found a workaround here.
It will be safe to try to install the package?
Is listed in here however, I check that in the current stable distribution, the package is not listed.

Head_on_a_Stick

#6 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

If the package can be installed then I think it should be fine. Probably best to use the latest version though:

https://deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main ... _amd64.deb
deadbang

emek

#7 Post by emek »

It works without problem.

Thanks for your help!