Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

How-To Documentation requests.

Share your HowTo, Documentation, Tips and Tricks. Not for support questions!.
donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

How-To Documentation requests.

#1 Post by donald »

While we do our best in the Help sections and supplemental knowledge in our Docs, HowTos, Tips & Tricks section with amazing reads, we want to ask you what kind of peer driven documentation you would like to see? If so, this is your thread.

Ask about a topic that needs a How-To or Real world Documentation and open it to fellow members with experience to author something for you and for the community. Ideally, you would post in this thread about your curiosity and someone will come along, quote your post and some time later you have a How-To or a Doc.

As with anything, we need to ask that this request library is not for general help questions, but for dedicated understanding of a topic for which you have already researched, solved, and desire to know more about. Posts asking for specific help on a topic may be moved to the Help and Support section.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

donald

Re: How-To Documentation requests.

#2 Post by donald »

Asking: How to create a Certificate Authority and certificates with OpenSSL.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

lindi
Debian Developer
Debian Developer

#3 Post by lindi »

donald wrote: 2023-08-29 21:48 Asking: How to create a Certificate Authority and certificates with OpenSSL.
Is this just for e.g. use with OpenVPN or do you need everything including the kitchen sink like certificate revocation lists and HSM hardware?

donald

#4 Post by donald »

lindi wrote: 2023-08-29 22:07
donald wrote: 2023-08-29 21:48 Asking: How to create a Certificate Authority and certificates with OpenSSL.
Is this just for e.g. use with OpenVPN or do you need everything including the kitchen sink like certificate revocation lists and HSM hardware?
I think all of the kitchen utensils. :) The use would be for a network server that could generate internally for other servers and machines.
Typo perfectionish.

k829king

#5 Post by k829king »

So I would like to see a How To on OpenVpn in Debian 12/Bookworm ...
I tried following both

Code: Select all

https://wiki.debian.org/OpenVPN
and also

https://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-and-configure-openvpn-server-on-debian-12/
But both did not seem to work apart from the very basic unsecured test in step 1. I will need to revisit and try to open a ticket in the forum for assistance with relevant info.

donald

#6 Post by donald »

Does anyone know how to really utilize KDE Activities?

I've recently started using the feature and it is great, however I would like a different browser for each activity. I've tried a few guides online but none seem to work.
Typo perfectionish.

Bulkley

#7 Post by Bulkley »

I'd like to see up-to-date instructions on how to set up Debian to run without Systemd. Instructions should be reliable and include necessary configs. I've done this in a VM but I'm not confident enough to use it as my daily driver.

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#8 Post by CwF »

Bulkley wrote: 2023-10-04 01:57 I've done this in a VM but I'm not confident enough to use it as my daily driver.
If you have a computer to boot a random device, then simply image that VM of yours to the random device and boot the computer! Then you'll know!

pbear

#9 Post by pbear »

CwF wrote: 2023-10-04 02:33
Bulkley wrote: 2023-10-04 01:57 I've done this in a VM but I'm not confident enough to use it as my daily driver.
If you have a computer to boot a random device, then simply image that VM of yours to the random device and boot the computer! Then you'll know!
Image how? That would be a useful how-to in its own right. I've done it (using rsync), but was complicated. Also, a VBox VM needs to have guest additions removed before exporting to bare metal.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#10 Post by cds60601 »

Bulkley wrote: 2023-10-04 01:57 I'd like to see up-to-date instructions on how to set up Debian to run without Systemd. Instructions should be reliable and include necessary configs. I've done this in a VM but I'm not confident enough to use it as my daily driver.
If you dodn't want to do the work yourself, why not look into Devuan.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

CwF
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#11 Post by CwF »

pbear wrote: 2023-10-04 05:48Image how?
provided by package qemu-utils

# qemu-img convert -O raw /path/filename.qcow2 /dev/sdx
Other
QEMU also supports various other image file formats for compatibility
with older QEMU versions or other hypervisors, including VMDK, VDI, VHD
(vpc), VHDX, qcow1 and QED. For a full list of supported formats see
qemu-img --help. For a more detailed description of these formats, see
the QEMU block drivers reference documentation.
pbear wrote: 2023-10-04 05:48 Also, a VBox VM needs to have guest additions removed before exporting to bare metal.
Reason n+1 why VBox is not a valid platform for testing. VBox does not run 'machines virtually', it runs 'VBox installations' more akin to M$ programs running under WINE.