Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Trouble with no sound on iMac install of Debian 12

Need help with peripherals or devices?
Greybeard

Trouble with no sound on iMac install of Debian 12

#1 Post by Greybeard »

First, I'm new to Linux. I installed Debian 12 on my Mac 18,2 desktop with 8 GB of ram, and an Intel processor, Core i5-7500-4. Problem is that the sound card is part of the motherboard and is not recognized. I've tried alsa-mixer but get no audio, Is there something I can do to find an audio driver to find the sound circuitry?

All other Debian system seems to be running well.

SaltyRhino95857

Re: Trouble with no sound on iMac install of Debian 12

#2 Post by SaltyRhino95857 »

I found this repo from GitHub that supports MacBooks from around the same time as your iMac. The only problem is that the tested kernel version is kinda old... if you wanna try, https://github.com/leifliddy/macbook12-audio-driver

cgecastro

#3 Post by cgecastro »

If you are using gnome, go into settings and select
The internal speakers and then one of the surround modes, not stereo, this should give you some audio.
I'm searching for a better solution

bmc5311

#4 Post by bmc5311 »

cgecastro wrote: 2024-02-19 18:23 If you are using gnome, go into settings and select
The internal speakers and then one of the surround modes, not stereo, this should give you some audio.
I'm searching for a better solution
^^This is the best I could come up with as well, I have an older iMac (16,2), if you find an answer, please post!.
I plugged an external stereo speaker into the headphones plug and it sounds much better then the internal speakers.