Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Solved] [Installation] Can't install packages in Debian 12.1

New to Debian (Or Linux in general)? Ask your questions here!
Stuarte

[Solved] [Installation] Can't install packages in Debian 12.1

#1 Post by Stuarte »

Hi,
I just installed Debian 12.1 Bookworm from a usb flash drive. When I booted into the system and opened up Discover, the system/package immediately generated the following error.

E: The repository 'cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 12.1.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 with firmware 20230722-10:49] bookworm Release' does not have a Release file.
W: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
W: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
E: cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 12.1.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 with firmware 20230722-10:49] bookworm Release is not (yet) available (Please use apt-cdrom to make this CD-ROM recognized by APT. apt-get update cannot be used to add new CD-ROMs)

How do I set up Debian 12.1 to allow package installation using Discover ?
Last edited by Stuarte on 2023-09-11 13:16, edited 1 time in total.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: [Installation] Can't install packages in Debian 12.1

#2 Post by None1975 »

Hello.

You must edit Apt sources configuration file. This configuration file is at

Code: Select all

/etc/apt/sources.list
You can edit this files (as Superuser) using your favorite text editor.

Example:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
And near the top, comment out the line that looks like this:

#cdrom://[Debian GNU/Linux 12.1.0 _Bookworm_ - Official amd64 DVD Binary-1 with firmware 20230722-10:49
comment is a hash

#
Press

Ctrl+X
to exit the nano text editor, pressing

y
to save your changes

Then finally you'll need to run:

sudo apt-get update
To update your package lists.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#3 Post by arochester »

I would add

sudo apt upgrade
Sudo apt-get update will update your sources list, but it will not download and install packages.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/sudo- ... ifference/

Stuarte

#4 Post by Stuarte »

Hi,

@@arochester: Thank you for such a very swift and clear reply. It should be no problem to implement these changes which I will do as soon as I can. Thank you also for the link to the Debian handbook. This will no doubt prove very useful.

I have been using Kubuntu for the last few years and this sort of thing is usually set up as part of a default install. This is why I am a little bit adrift in how to do things the "Debian way".

Stuarte

#5 Post by Stuarte »

Hi,

@None1975: Thank you for such a swift and detailed reply. As stated in my reply to @arochester, I have been using Kubuntu for the last few years where this sort of thing is set up as part of a default install. This explains why I am a little adrift in doing things the "Debian way".

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by sunrat »

The cdrom lines are normally hashed out (disabled) if you have an internet connection during installation and standard Debian repositories are enabled. Presumably you weren't connected.
If you wish to use the online repositories (recommended) and you don't have them you will need to add them to sources manually - https://wiki.debian.org/SourcesList . I'm not sure if you can do that inside Discover but it's easy to do manually with a text editor anyway. You probably need extra components non-free-firmware and possibly contrib and non-free.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

cjohnsonmn
LinkedIN: cjohnsonmn

Re: [Solved] [Installation] Can't install packages in Debian 12.1

#7 Post by cjohnsonmn »

I had the same error, but this solution didnt fix anything (there was no "#" to comment-out the cdrom source path). The problem is/was the missing "Release file".
The easy solution posted by hack3rcon is to trust the cd as a source in etc/apt/sources.list :

I added "deb [trusted=yes] cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux..." and problem solved.

Once you do that you just need to load the cd when you want to add apps with the discover gui application manager app.