Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[Discussion] Debian appstream generator update delay

User discussion about Debian Development, Debian Project News and Announcements. Not for support questions.
sidt

[Discussion] Debian appstream generator update delay

#1 Post by sidt »

From https://appstream.debian.org/sid/index.html, it appears that the Debian appstream generation was last done on Sep 2 ( Last updated on: 2023-09-02 20:55 [UTC] )

Any reason why it hasn't been updated ?
Attachments
debian-appstream-delay.png

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

Re: [Discussion] Debian appstream generator update delay

#2 Post by sunrat »

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

sidt

#3 Post by sidt »

Any idea whom to contact ? I don't find one in the appstream website.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#4 Post by donald »

I emailed one of the admins, hopefully they can fix it or tell us whom to ask next.

Thank you for catching this.
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by cds60601 »

Looks like that date is the same for all suites
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by cds60601 »

Something that might be telling, if you click on the logs tag at the bottom of the main page, you are lead to here.
If you click into 2023, looking at the time stamps, one can deduce that the data is compiled once a month (or there about).
This could explain the date of a month ago. I suppose that this might change in the next day or two. Just guessing of course.
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

donald

#7 Post by donald »

It seems that one of the architectures being removed caused an issue. This has been fixed, however we are waiting for our git instance to come back online after maintenance. You should see the updates later today. Thank you for letting us know!
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

sidt

#8 Post by sidt »

It seems to work now, which is good news.

But, it's also a bit disappointing that this was broken close to a month and no one noticed it. Lots of apps depend on an updated Appstream data to work properly.

Hope this doesn't repeat in future.

Thanks for everyone involved!

donald

#9 Post by donald »

We are people and we are admittedly fallible. But YOU caught the error so someone WAS paying attention.:) I understand from the email exchange that a notification email about the service not working was not sent, that has been corrected and the initial error corrected so this should not occur again.

Without clear and disastrous failure there is no rubble from which to build the steps to the future, so to speak.
Typo perfectionish.

sidt

#10 Post by sidt »

I understand from the email exchange ...
Are the e-mails available to view to public (group e-mail), or private?
a notification email about the service not working was not sent, that has been corrected and the initial error corrected so this should not occur again.
Sounds good.

I think, maybe we should have a cron job, which independently checks whether the dates in the generated files are recent (<N days old etc). This should capture issues in any layer (Appstream Generator/System/Storage etc).
Without clear and disastrous failure there is no rubble from which to build the steps to the future, so to speak.
Agree.

donald

#11 Post by donald »

sidt wrote: 2023-10-03 08:50
I understand from the email exchange ...
Are the e-mails available to view to public (group e-mail), or private?
Developer to Developer personal emails.
sidt wrote: 2023-10-03 08:50
a notification email about the service not working was not sent, that has been corrected and the initial error corrected so this should not occur again.
Sounds good.

I think, maybe we should have a cron job, which independently checks whether the dates in the generated files are recent (<N days old etc). This should capture issues in any layer (Appstream Generator/System/Storage etc).
I do not know how the service is set up, so unfortunately I cannot really give you any answers here. I am sending them a link them to this thread, perhaps they will comment.
Typo perfectionish.

sidt

#12 Post by sidt »

I do not know how the service is set up, so unfortunately I cannot really give you any answers here. I am sending them a link them to this thread, perhaps they will comment.
Sure. Thanks!