Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

SbK LXQt 1023 release

This subsection is for Software, Extensions, and Operation System Enhancements that are created with and by the Debian Operating System. All of the works here are user contributed with no commercial content allowed. Standard forum rules apply with no warranty, guarantee, or express consent by the forums.

Enjoy and use at your own level of risk.
jimb1963
User Project Contributor
User Project Contributor

SbK LXQt 1023 release

#1 Post by jimb1963 »

I am happy to announce the release of SbK Debian LXQt 1023.
SbK_LXQt_Debian-1023-A.jpg
The SpinsbyKilz.com watermark is not present in the installed OS.
SbK_LXQt_Debian-1023-B.jpg
Both iso's in this release include:
1. The 6.5.3 kernel.
2. The New KoraSpin-Purple7 icon theme with light and dark versions of the control icons. They are part of the KoraSpin-1023 package.
3. The new SpinThemeDarkPurple9 matching Gtk and Kvantum themes in one package was used.
4. The same background is used for the grub, desktop, and login screen backgrounds.
5. The iso's are up to date as of 9/30/2023. Lots of updates since the last release.
6. Waterfox is the installed browser.
7. An optional Firefox/Waterfox theme, SbK Dark Purple7, is available at https://spins.tuxfamily.org/ffthemes.html just click on the image in Firefox to install it.

Both iso's also contain the standard SbK features.

1. The latest kernel.
2. A Debian operating system install that is built from the Debian repositories.
3. It is multiarch by default to make running wine games and other 32bit
4. The Spins by Kilz signed repository is enabled for SbK project packages.
5. Timeshift autosnap apt is installed. It takes a snapshot before upgrading so any bad upgrades can be easily reversed.
6. A basic Conky with a color theme that matches the desktop themes.
7. They are rolling release installs following testing. As setup they will always follow testing.
8. New custom dark themes every release.

License information
The installed OS has Debian main, contrib, non-free, and non-free-firmware enabled.
The only packages in the iso from non-free are faac, p7zip-rar, rar, unrar, and midisport-firmware.
The Wallpapers are under the Unsplash license. https://unsplash.com/license
The rest of the packages in the SbK repo are under standard free licenses, most under the GPL v3.

A full and very minimal iso’s can be found here.

As always comments, suggestions and questions are welcome.

Jim
Last edited by jimb1963 on 2023-10-03 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

Re: SbK LXQt 1023 release

#2 Post by arochester »

2. A Debian testing install that is 100% Debian compatible.
What does that mean when Waterfox is not in the Debian Repositories and must be imported into sources.list.d ?

Or does it not matter if we put things into sources,list.d?

jimb1963
User Project Contributor
User Project Contributor

#3 Post by jimb1963 »

What 100% Debian compatible means is the the operating system is 100% Debian compatible. The operating system is built using packages from the Debian repositories. The only real difference between SbK spins and an official install iso, as far as the OS is concerned, is who makes the iso, and what Debian repositories it uses. These spins follow testing, and will keep following testing even after a future release. The reason its setup that way is they are rolling releases, users will never have to upgrade to a new releases or reinstall to a newer one and have access to newer packages.
Besides Waterfox is an application. using it or removing it does not change the operating system. Install media needs to have a browser installed. Waterfox updates on its own from the waterfox project. There is no need to add it to your sources list. if you dont like it, remove it and replace it. I am sure there are people who like a specific browser and install their choice, nothing wrong with that.
Feel free to make any changes you want to the os. Its part of the freedom Linux users have.

jimb1963
User Project Contributor
User Project Contributor

#4 Post by jimb1963 »

After thinking about it a bit I have edited the comment to clarify it.

donald
Debian Developer, Site Admin
Debian Developer, Site Admin

#5 Post by donald »

I have some time next weekend and will install this. It looks great!
Typo perfectionish.

"The advice given above is all good, and just because a new message has appeared it does not mean that a problem has arisen, just that a new gremlin hiding in the hardware has been exposed." - FreewheelinFrank

jimb1963
User Project Contributor
User Project Contributor

#6 Post by jimb1963 »

Thanks.
LXQt is my fav desktop. Sadly it didnt have a lot of themes for it when I started using it. I think I have added a few dozen since I started making themes a few years ago. Most are packaged for Manjaro, but more will be added to Debian as time goes by.